PDA

View Full Version : "Burl"halla

Nate Davey
08-12-2012, 4:22 PM
Wednesday is our big move day out to New Mexico, so I had to make one lost run out to my wood pusher. He showed me his burl collection and just had to show it off. I also picked up a 24"x24"x4" slab of ambrosia maple for a big platter once I get my new lathe.

Roger Chandler
08-12-2012, 5:10 PM
Best of luck on your relocation Nate...........is this retirement or relocation for you? Nice stack of burls.........that ought to be fun when you get set up for turning again. This time around........will it be Powermatic, Robust or something mayo in color? :D

Nate Davey
08-12-2012, 5:38 PM
Thanks Roger, I'm retiring after 23 years in the Army to a new job in NM. For the lathe, I was thinking Robust, but found a fully loaded Nichols lathe in southern Arizona for what a new Robust would cost. If it's still available, I hope to get it.

Jon Prouty
08-12-2012, 6:28 PM
Hi Nate,

I'veve been eyeing that Nichols lathe too.... I can't figure out where I would put it though so I hope you grab it before I end up having to build a garage around it. :)

Jon

Nate Davey
08-12-2012, 6:57 PM
If you get it before me you have to share :D

charlie knighton
08-12-2012, 7:41 PM
load of burls, makes me wonder how Baxter stores his

good luck on either of the lathes

thanks for your service Nate

James Roberts
08-12-2012, 9:41 PM
That looks like a CONEX holding those burls, old school Army stuff. Thanks for your service, hope the move and new lathe (whichever you end up with) works out ok.

Nate Davey
08-13-2012, 7:31 AM
James, That is an ISU-90, it's what replaced the CONEX.

Tim Rinehart
08-13-2012, 8:16 AM
Nate,
I wish you all the best in your move to NM. I hope to hear that you ended up getting that Nichols lathe, the big turning bug must still resound with you after your visit when we went to Anatoly's shop.!:cool:
I do want you to know that I just finished taking a 6 week class in digital photography, so I now understand more of what you told me and helped me with, and my excuses for bad photos will be harder to come up with.:)
Stay in touch my friend!

Bernie Weishapl
08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Nate congrats on your retirement and thanks for your service. Hope things go well for you in NM. That load ought to keep ya turning a day or two.

Nate Davey
08-13-2012, 2:21 PM
@Tim, I wasn't planning on getting a lathe that big, but it kinda popped up. I think I'll just turn pens on it :D Can't wait to see your pics, please let me know ways to improve on what we talked about.

Jon Nuckles
08-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Nate, Thanks for your service and congrats on your retirement. Happy turning.

Jon