PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up for Jet JJP-12 owners with straight knife cutterheads

Curt Harms
08-12-2012, 9:26 AM
The machine is advertised as a 12" machine. The knives are not 12", they're about 12 1/4" or 310 mm. I bought a set of knives without measuring. Oops. I'm still gonna use 'em, It's been too long since I bought 'em to return. It'll just leave a little gap if using the full width of the planer bed. I see that some vendors do sell 1" X 12 1/4" X 1/8" 3 knife sets.

larry senen
08-12-2012, 11:59 AM
don't have to line up the ends. just stagger them to fill the head. i mean how often do you run boards at the edge of the machine?

Kevin Bourque
08-12-2012, 12:08 PM
don't have to line up the ends. just stagger them to fill the head. i mean how often do you run boards at the edge of the machine?

+1. Stagger 'em.

Curt Harms
08-13-2012, 7:18 AM
They're already installed. If it becomes an issue I'll move one. As you said, how often do I plane full width stock? Except as a test I can't recall ever having done so. If I buy a new set though they'll be 12 1/4".

Matt Day
08-13-2012, 9:57 AM
I routinely plane boards all the way to either edge to try and have equal wear on the blades. How much does that really matter? Probably not much if any.

Tom Ewell
08-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I routinely plane boards all the way to either edge to try and have equal wear on the blades. How much does that really matter? Probably not much if any.
Yep, spread the load. I've sharpened too many blades for buddies that don't, a lot more grinding needs to be done to true up the over worn centers