PDA

View Full Version : speedy 100 vs Universal 360

TAMI WILSON
08-12-2012, 7:45 AM
I have gotten pricing (retail) on both units. I plan on traverling to Philly next month to look at both units. What has surprised me is the Trotec (retail) is actually less $$ than the Universal. The only downside to the trotec I can see is they front does not drop down allowing larger items to hang out the front. I am wondering if this can be bypassed on the Trotec. :-) Also the Trotec cart is $545.00 but I can pick up a stand for much less that will work just as well.
For those of us who have been under the impression that Trotec is more expensive I believe that is not so. Will explore further next month. Before i go to Philly I will get the "Sawmill Creek" price to see which is the better, show price or Sawmill price. :-) I am now leaning toward Trotec!

Peter Meacham
08-12-2012, 8:36 AM
Tami

I have a Speedy 1 (older product) and the front panel (door) is hinged and opens up. I use the door open mode for larger objects and I place a magnet (new hi-strength type) on each of the two sensors on the cabinet to defeat the interlock. I have not seen a Speedy 100, but would be surprised if the front panel does not open.

Pete

Rich Harman
08-12-2012, 6:17 PM
When you purchase a standard model Trotec, does it have the ability to run at full speed or do you have to pay extra to unlock it?

Mike Null
08-13-2012, 7:56 AM
Rich

Are you being sarcastic? The 100 cannot be operated as a 300.

Scott Shepherd
08-13-2012, 8:07 AM
When you purchase a standard model Trotec, does it have the ability to run at full speed or do you have to pay extra to unlock it?

It's my understanding that you are correct. There is a higher speed option that requires no additional parts, so that would mean it's exactly what you described.

Rich Harman
08-13-2012, 9:54 AM
Rich

Are you being sarcastic? The 100 cannot be operated as a 300.

Not at all. I vaguely recall that in order to unlock the full speed of Trotecs you must pay an additional fee.

Mike Null
08-13-2012, 10:24 AM
The Speedy 100 has a top raster speed of 110 IPS while the Speedy 300 has a raster speed of 140 IPS. Those are the maximums for each machine.

I suspect you may be referring to the Job Control options of which there are three and depending on the option you choose there may be an additional charge.

In my statement I was referring to speed but the Job Control software can be purchased for either machine. (I also vaguely recall that there is a lower speed for the 100 if you buy the standard version of the software but I can't recall the details of that.)

Scott Shepherd
08-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Mike, it's not the job control, there's an actual performance enhancing option that makes it go faster from what I can read.

This is from their own advertising :

"The Speedy 100 (http://www.troteclaser.com/en-US/Laser-Machines/Compact/Pages/Speedy100.aspx) can very easily be upgraded to a higher engraving speed. You can thus achieve a higher productivity during laser engraving. No structural alterations are required."

Mike Null
08-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Steve

I based my speed info on a conversation this a.m. with tech support who took the time to verify it with others in the dept.

Another call to tech support to clarify your point reveals that the machines offered in the US are specified with the top speed option. The other options are not available.

Scott Shepherd
08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks Mike, that's interesting! 110 ips is still very fast! Good to know.

Mike Null
08-13-2012, 2:12 PM
Steve

You are correct. As I recall, when I bought my 300 7 plus years ago, the 100 was around 80 ips.