PDA

View Full Version : Stanley#12 Handle Question

Craig J Brain
08-12-2012, 5:42 AM
Hi Everyone!,

Can anyone give me the measurements for the handle of a Stanley #12? I have recently purchased one off eBay, minus the handle and was looking at getting one made out of silky oak.

Optionally, I would also be interested in finding an original part, if anyone knows of an online seller with one in stock. I haven't had much luck with the usual suppliers here in Australia.

Thanks,

Craig

Jim Koepke
08-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Craig,

I will try to remember to measure mine today. Maybe with some photos.

Looking at the color background on this post has me wondering if you visited woodworkforums.com?

It is a great site, but I occasionally have a hard go at the accent. :o

jtk

Craig J Brain
08-12-2012, 3:23 PM
Thanks JTK!

And yes I do visit those forums. I thought I'd double my chances of getting an answer by asking here as well. I was trying to conceal my accent while typing, but you've caught me out!

Craig :)

Jim Koepke
08-13-2012, 12:28 AM
The handle on mine is 11" long. The max diameter near the end is 1-5/16". The bosses (?) where the screws are located are 1-3/32" in diameter. The screws are on 3" centers. The handle between the bosses measured ~1-1/16".

I hope you have the screws or know of a source. The are 1-1/2" long. The pitch is a bit odd, 18 tpi on what looks to be a 9/32" shaft.

Here is an image:

Hope this helps.

jtk

Craig J Brain
08-14-2012, 6:23 PM
JTK,

Thanks very much! Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I was away yesterday.

JTK, sorry to be a bother, but how wide are the bosses and the narrowest parts of the handles?
Is there any chance I could also get you to see what the distance is between the bosses?

Thanks for the info about the screws! I've never seen that type of screw before, but hopefully I'll find a modern online supplier.

Again, thanks very much for the help with this.

Craig

Jim Koepke
08-14-2012, 11:24 PM
No problem, I will try to remember to check it the next time I go into the shop.

jtk

Jim Koepke
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
The bosses measure to about 11/6" and there is about 2-3/16" between them. The bosses look to be centered on the screw holes in the base.

jtk

Craig J Brain
08-16-2012, 5:47 AM
Jim,

Thanks! That gives me enough info to reproduce one! Very much appreciated!
Best I post photos when I get one done up!

Craig