PDA

View Full Version : Steering column rust

Stephen Tashiro
08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
While working on my 1990's vintage vehices, I notice that steering columns get a fine powdery rust on them while other metal parts under the dash still look shiny. Why is the the steering column prone to rust? Is it condensation? Does the steering column get that much colder than the parts around it?

Matt Marsh
08-12-2012, 7:43 AM
Just a hunch, but it could be galvanic corrosion.

Matt Marsh
08-12-2012, 7:56 AM
I'm just chasing some thoughts, but I wonder if the galvanic action couldn't be caused, or the effect worsened if they use the steering rod as a conductor for the horn button. The steering rod could be anodal compared to the surrounding structure. It would work similarly to the sacrificial anode rod inside water heaters.

Kevin Bourque
08-12-2012, 12:10 PM
I've noticed the same steering column rust phenomenon for years and never could figure it out. It seems to happen to all cars regardless of make or model.

Jim Koepke
08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I notice that steering columns get a fine powdery rust on them while other metal parts under the dash still look shiny.

Could it be that the steering column is closer to the dampness from the floor during wet weather?

It could also be that the outside of the column is made from a mild steel since it is just a cover for what is inside the column.

jtk

Pat Barry
08-12-2012, 6:16 PM
Its hard to believe that 1990's vehicles are vintage. Thanks for making me feel old again.