PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press - DP350 repair

Anthony Scott
08-11-2012, 3:50 PM
I have a Delta DP350 drill press. I need to replace the ring that controls the depth stop, but I can't figure out how to get it off.
I attached a picture with a red circle around the part.
It looks to me like just taking the chuck off won't do it. I might have to take off the whole shaft, but don't want to tackle that without some directions.

Thanks238889

Rick Lizek
08-11-2012, 6:15 PM
Loosen the nut on the bolt and it slide down off the quill. My 40 year old Rockwell drill press is very similar. It's a spit type casting and a screw driver in the slit will open the slit up to make it slde right off. Pretty simple and it will slide over the chuck.

Anthony Scott
08-11-2012, 7:44 PM
I don't really follow your suggestion. But I included an actual picture of my drill press. The part with the red arrow pointing to it is the one I want to remove.
The part with the blue arrow pointing to it is in the way. Even if I remove the chuck, that part is in the way.... at least thats what I think.
Thanks238898

Sid Matheny
08-11-2012, 8:00 PM
From looking at the parts diagram the spindle (#67) will have to be removed.

Sid

Rick Lizek
08-11-2012, 10:15 PM
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/delta/DP350.pdf
Your blue arrow part looks like it's part of the quill in the diagram so if it's not removable then you drop the quill and slide the bracket red arrow up. No reason to remove # 67.

Myk Rian
08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I had the same DP, (note I HAD one) and the same part broke.
Remove the spindle, or the chuck. Your choice.
The chuck is a taper fit.

Instead of paying the price for a new part, I made one out of 3/4" ply. Worked great.

By the way, any problems with the Reeves drive? The split pin on the motor end of mine kept coming loose. I put it back in and wrapped a Ty-wrap around it to keep it in.

Anthony Scott
08-12-2012, 1:27 PM
Ok, I guess I am a little dim.... Looking at the parts diagram that Rick posted, my press may have been put together wrong. The collar I am trying to replace is above the ridge (the part with the blue arrow pointing to it in my screenshot) that is built in to the bottom of the quill. I don't see how to get the quill off though.

John Coloccia
08-12-2012, 3:06 PM
Ok, I guess I am a little dim.... Looking at the parts diagram that Rick posted, my press may have been put together wrong. The collar I am trying to replace is above the ridge (the part with the blue arrow pointing to it in my screenshot) that is built in to the bottom of the quill. I don't see how to get the quill off though.

Generally, there is really nothing holding in the quill except the handle and maybe an alignment jib. If you carefully removed the spring housing (and I do mean carefully....watch a video on how to do it or read through instructions...it's under a LOT of tension and it WILL hurt you), you will then be able to pull out the entire handle assembly. Hold on to the spindle as it will drop to the floor once the handle comes out. There's nothing to it.

Don't say I didn't warn you about the spring housing. If you don't do it right and end up in the ER, don't me upset at me :)

John Coloccia
08-12-2012, 3:15 PM
So looking at the diagram, it looks like the most likely way to get it off is:

Loosen 43 and 100

Remove the outer 88 nut.
SLIGHTLY loosen the second 88 nut, and then hold the spring housing down with a screwdriver (so it doesn't spin). Then I finish loosening the nut enough to allow the housing to come off the keys and spin, and the only thing preventing that is you're holding it down with the screwdriver (or whatever else you have handy). At this point, removing the screwdriver pressure will probably allow the housing to move off the keys on it's own and release the tension. When you do this, the spindle will drop to the stop, so don't be surprised. To prevent that, keep the quill locked (#100, I think) until after you've released the spring tension.

Now you can safely remove the second 88 nut, and remove the spring housing.

Hold onto the spindle, and remove the handle. It will just pull out.

Now the spindle is free.

You will probably find a tone of grease and stuff in there, so have some shop towels ready. Somewhere out there is probably a good tutorial on doing this, but these are the basic steps.

Phil Thien
08-12-2012, 9:00 PM
Just got to remove the return spring, then the quill advance handle, then the quill will drop into your hand (keep your hand on it, it will literally fall into your hand).

If you were in the Milwaukee area, I'd stop-by and show you how easy this is.