PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
05-02-2003, 9:12 AM
Greetings all,

What's on tap for the weekend?

Looks like another weekend of little woodworking for me.:(
We are traveling to the Oklahoma City area for the weekend to help friends celebrate their 25th wedding aniversary.

Hope you all have a great weekend,
Bob

Mike Evertsen
05-02-2003, 9:42 AM
getting ready to build a 10x16 shed,,,the foundation is there from a one car garage that was torn down,,,it is going to be for my garden tractor and popup camper and camping gear and the woodworking that I'm selling at the few craft shows I'm going to do this summer,,,

Steve Clardy
05-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Muonting a table ext. on left side of my new Accu-Square fence. [Love it]. Penciling out a new wrap-around outfeed table, maybe with shelves underneath. More mowing if it ever quites raining. Steve:D

Kevin Post
05-02-2003, 10:49 AM
We're having our annual spring garage sale. It's an excuse to completely clean the gara... er... shop and unload some of the clutter. I'm selling a drill press and a Delta mortising attachment that I no longer use.

The drill press was purchased from one of those travelling Chuck Homier Tool sales (a mistake). I plan to upgrade... SWMBO says I can have the money from the sale to buy a new one.

Also, I finally get to unload some of the large plastic toys my wife insisted on buying for the kids from other people's garage sales. Two 'Little Tikes' slides and 4 or 5 assorted big wheels and scooters will no longer occupy valuable space in my shop or my garden shed. I can't wait...

-Kevin

Terry Hatfield
05-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Trying to get something figured out for the new Hitachi SCMS(drive by regloat... he he). A SCMS sure is a difficult machine to collect from!!! All the various ways the thing moves, slides and tilts makes effective dust collection a bit of a challenge.

I have a couple of ideas that I'm going to try. I'll get some pics posted when I get it figured out!!

Everyone have a good one and be safe,

terry

David Perkins
05-02-2003, 12:14 PM
I volunteered last fall to help clean up my daughter’s schools playground and they called the favor in today. It should take most of the day tomorrow and then a family BBQ tomorrow night. But Sunday finish up my cyclone I have been working on and possibly the start on the duct work.

Jay Kilpatrick
05-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I get myself out of the Dog House!?!?

I'll make it brief...Job was supposed to take me to San Antonio next week. Wife sez must be fate, lets get tickets for the young'un and me so we can view little sisters graduation from basic training at Lackland AFB. I says, sounds good to me and $450 later we have 2 genuine airline tickets for her and the tyke. (My ticket to be paid for by the job). Just found out that the business trip is cancelled, thus so is my ticket ::eek: ...wife has stated before when I mentioned this possibility that she REALLY WASN"T LOOKING FORWARD TO THE PROSPECT OF TRAVELLING ALONE WITH THE TYKE...I haven't told her yet, and now you seeing up the long steep grade hill I'm at the bottom of...:(

So I'll probably continue glue-up of piece parts for the cabinet makers bench I'm building. Solid Red Oak. What do you all think about Walnut for the apron/dog hole strip? :confused:
~Jay

Ken Salisbury
05-02-2003, 3:22 PM
Originally posted by Terry Hatfield
Trying to get something figured out for the new Hitachi SCMS(drive by regloat... he he). A SCMS sure is a difficult machine to collect from!!! All the various ways the thing moves, slides and tilts makes effective dust collection a bit of a challenge.

I have a couple of ideas that I'm going to try.

Terry,
If you don't figure it out - then send it to me and I will use it "as-is :D

Doug Littlejohn
05-02-2003, 4:07 PM
Well, unfortunately nothing WW related. :mad: I need to finish the shop to even be able to do WW and that won't be done until later this summer. :(

But, will have some fun :) , I start working on a BIG spit for our pig roast coming up at the end of the month.:cool: :cool:

oh yea. I also gotta get one of our autos ready to sell. A few minor repairs :( but worst is I have to clean it out !!! :D I'm a slob when it comes to keeping the inside of my car clean.

Hope others are having more fun!!

Pete Harbin
05-02-2003, 6:44 PM
practice using a scraper.

I need to finish reorganizing the shop. I built a shelf on the wall over my router table last weekend to hold the dovetail jig and all the router accessories, which freed up some other space. I should be able to get a few things off the bench and floor, and out of the way.

I'll also be spending some time sharpening and burnishing my first scraper. What I don't understand though is how do you plug this little thing in...no power cord...no battery...hey wait...this is a hand tool!!!!!!!

All of this will take place before and after a stress-filled three hours of watching the Stars play the Ducks...the boys are breaking my heart the way they are playing...but a glimmer of hope still shines. Of course, I'm sure that Jean Sebastian Giguere is really a freak of nature. How has that guy shut down the two best teams in the west for eight straight games?!?!?!

GO STARS!!!!!! Mike Modano for President!

Pete

Dr. Zack Jennings
05-02-2003, 7:03 PM
Another day in the shop with my helper. I think we will clean up first, build some cabinet doors and work on the roof (again). I would like to lay out a courtyard fence and start a practice fence to screen off my propane tank. This will be a test for the front yard fence.

Of course, I never get everything done. The weather forcast sounds excellent, mid 70's with a slight chance of afternoon rain.

keith zimmerman
05-02-2003, 7:22 PM
Its May. In the Illinois countryside, that means it has rained most of the past month. Rain means the grass grows...a lot and fast. My 2.5 acres need mowing again so I will be out there Saturday, sitting on the Dixon, mowing around all my trees and a bit of open ground.

Hopefully, I will be able to get into the shop and work on some of the projects I want to get built. Like a sharpening jig, grinder stand, and drill press table. And maybe rough turn some more cherry bowls

keithz

Tom Sweeney
05-02-2003, 7:33 PM
maybe get some yardwork done
maybe finally finish getting my truck running
maybe doing a little trim work
maybe actually taking my new planer out of the box & try it out
maybe finishing a cutting board
maybe checking out a used lathe I might get
maybe getting caught up on some web site work

Maybe actually accomplishing anything on this list :rolleyes:

Have fun - be safe - Make some sawdust

Keith Outten
05-02-2003, 8:40 PM
Keith Z and Steve,

You guys gotta get one of these. A 72" cut @ 10mph and six acres of grass looks like a golf course in less than two hours including trimming :)

All shop time for me this weekend, two jobs to finish that must be shipped Monday. Maybe I'll get a couple of phone calls or emails from more companies that are just dying to give away some more FreeStuff :p :p :p

Jason Roehl
05-03-2003, 7:49 AM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney
maybe get some yardwork done
maybe finally finish getting my truck running
maybe doing a little trim work
maybe actually taking my new planer out of the box & try it out
maybe finishing a cutting board
maybe checking out a used lathe I might get
maybe getting caught up on some web site work

Maybe actually accomplishing anything on this list :rolleyes:

Have fun - be safe - Make some sawdust

Finally someone who's honest about what they are going to do for the weekend!!

My maybe list:

-Bookcase (started last June)
-Oil changes on both vehicles
-Clean up garage/shop (perpetual task)
-Mow (15 min if I'm motivated :D )
-Organize truck/build more storage systems for it
-Get old Craftsman jointer for free from neighbor who is moving soon--needs work, but at least it's better than the one I have (this depends on third item above)

Jason

Phil Phelps
05-03-2003, 8:26 AM
Originally posted by Terry Hatfield

I have a couple of ideas that I'm going to try. I'll get some pics posted when I get it figured out!!

Everyone have a good one and be safe,

terry
I don't call what you bought a gloat, at all. After seeing your shop, you should have bought a "self cleaning" one. :D

John Miliunas
05-03-2003, 9:06 AM
...little shop time. It's the "annual town garbage day", so it's clean more stuff out of the shed and take trips to the collection center. Wouldn't be that bad, but we missed it last year.:( Then, as in many parts of the MidWest, it's been raining and now sunny for a day or so. Perfect formula for that green stuff to keep coming out of the ground. Only about 1-1/2 acres to cut, but just on a small Deere...Don't have one 'o them fancy Dixons or whatever else Keith is racing around on! Hopefully can get, at least, a few toothpick holders and couple pens done sometime Sunday. Have a great weekend all! :cool:

Earl Reid
05-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I'm putting the final touches on the 1st 0f 2 blanket chests . I will be starting on #2 in a few days. They are for Grand daughters that are graduating next month. , Earl

Dennis Peacock
05-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Mostly yard work for me Bob......Doing all the woodworking and traveling lately.....the yard kept growing and I couldn't get around to tending to its needs. I plan on getting the LOML some fruit trees to plant in the yard and maybe an extra flower or two for Mothers Day.!! (Ya'll did remember Mother's Day didn't you?)

I also have a leaky toilet I have to fix and fixing LOML's bathroom is a fairly high priority. ;-)

Lee Patz
05-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Not just this weekend, but everyday for the past several months, I have been trying to build up my inventory of Picture Frames. Graduations start this week! I try to complete about 2 dozen a week but this humidity is really slowing me and the drying time for Watco down to a snails pace.

I've been trying to keep up with all the events here and at WC but this is my first post since the Pond was drained!

Hope every one has a great weekend.
Lee

Lee Patz
05-03-2003, 11:35 PM
And here's what they look like when complete.

Lee

Dennis Peacock
05-04-2003, 1:45 PM
I ain't heard from you in a LONG time.......Well, at least not sense the last time you and I talked over the phone and you were sending me some mesq.

Nice and really GREAT to see you around.

Bill Esposito
05-05-2003, 8:38 AM
Well, after being away on business last week and heading out again this morning I did get to spend some time in the shop. I made 3 rabetted dovetailed drawers with my Woodhaven jig and also got to use my new Gross-Stabil clamps for the tabletop glueup. Then it was time to sharpen up the scraper and begin the process on the top.

in-process sofa table (http://cerealport.net/woodworking/sofatable.html)

Being new to all this and never having done drawers which slide on wood rails I decided to try a spring mechanism to keep the drawers in place and still allow for expansion in our large humidity swings. In this picture (http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/sofatable6.jpg) you can see where I added the spring. After I added the spring to the other side of the left hand drawer it centered the drawer on the opening like the drawer on the right.

I didnt get the table top all scraped (http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/sofatabletopscrapings.jpg) but I did get a good start...there is some figure in the wood which I have to pay attention to and scrape it from multiple angles to clean it all up.

Lars Thomas
05-05-2003, 9:39 AM
Bil, I like that spring, pretty creative idea. Lars