PDA

View Full Version : Gone to Texas

charlie knighton
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
6 3/4w x 5 1/4h

i believe this is mesquite, the reason why i question wheather it is mesquite is the choclote color

turned with pith in, but offcenter

Jerry Marcantel
08-11-2012, 4:30 PM
Without actually handling that piece, it does look like Mesquite to me. The clues are the black seams where the wood has cracked, and the bug tracks. I can see where you tried to stabilize the cracks. ... Nice looking piece, Charlie....

Bernie Weishapl
08-11-2012, 5:12 PM
Really nice looking vase. I would say it is mesquite.

Jim Burr
08-11-2012, 5:26 PM
I say you seal it up and use it as a spittoon! I'd go with mesquite too.

charlie knighton
08-11-2012, 7:14 PM
thanks for your opinions Jerry, Bernie, and Jim. as a side note, i did use duct tape around outside while hollowing, the cracks (black lines) were accented by velvit oil. i had not had any mesquite this dark, that was my question, i like the darker mesquite very much

Baxter Smith
08-11-2012, 9:02 PM
Nice piece Charlie. The bug holes look about right as well. I like the darker mesquite as well.

Jerry Marcantel
08-11-2012, 9:11 PM
Charlie, do you remember who you got this wood from? I seem to remember sending you a piece once. If I did, the wood has been dead since late 60's- very early 70's, and came from just below Kitt Peak (west of Tucson) on the eastern face of the mountain.... The bug tracks and color are an indicator of old Mesquite.... You would think the old stuff would be hard to turn, but it's pretty much easier than fresh Mesquite..... Jerry (in Tucson)

charlie knighton
08-11-2012, 9:29 PM
i remember that piece i got from you, it was extremely hard

this was from the pickup load i got from Gourmet Wood Products, 3517 Rendon Rd, Fort Worth, Texas
they are hooked up with state road crews and make charcoal for resturants, they let me cherry pick some pieces for a nomial fee, must have been spring of "10, i took some furniture to Mansfield from Dad's , i sort of been hoarding this wood letting the worms now they look like grasshoppers eat what they want
i think you need to talk to Bob at Gourmet Wood

every piece i have turned has been different color so far, there was just a large jumble of wood cut in 1 1/2 feet lenghts, i wish i had a tractor trailer load out of there

thanks for the comments Jerrry and Baxter