PDA

View Full Version : BIG saw, but no name?

steven c newman
08-11-2012, 1:10 AM
Was out Rust Hunting today. Bought three $1 saws, and a little $.50er. Two of the saws are your standard 26" warranted superior types, with clunky handles..238849Might be worth a dollar each?:eek: The little saw/238850I bought it strictly for them three brass bolts. I don't have any red paint at the shop, either. Which brings up the fourth saw buy of the day238851 Ah.. yeah. Big guy. 28"+ in length, looking like someone had chopped another 4-6" off the end. Brass hardware. Warranted Superior, with the eagle, on the Medallion. At the heel, it is over 7" wide. Tote looks like either a D-7, or a D-8. No etch has been found, either. Any ideas out there? is this a "Keeper'? Lil'Red will supply the missing saw bolt. I already have the blade cleaned of all the rust. ONE missing tooth, drat! No kinks, though. has a nice "ring' to it, as well. Any ideas what I have here?:confused:

As for those screwdrivers, the Stanley will complete a set i have. The other one? Know more after a clean up. Shank is square, almost chisel like. Ferrel is steel. Fifty cents a-piece for the drivers.:D

steven c newman
08-11-2012, 1:55 PM
Cleaned up the big saw. got rid of the rust, and grime. Polished the brass, as well. Some of the grime did come off the tote, and found a piece of the top horn was MIA. A look at things so far..238878238879238880This is one huge saw! Over 28" long, over 7" wide at the heel, and almost 3" at the toe. Tote looks like a D-8 style...

steven c newman
08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Still haven't figured this big saw out. No carving on the tote? Most with a WS medallion didn't have any? Bolt pattern looks like a D-8? It is a 8tpi blade, but a BIG blade. haven't taken the tote off, there is a hair-line crack on the "B" side. I'd rather not do anything to open it up into something worse. Two Mystery saws: A straight back, big bladed saw, with a D-8 tote? and the other saw? Seems to be a No.16 tote on a skew back blade. Both totes seem to be original to the saws. Special order saws, maybe???

steven c newman
08-12-2012, 3:36 PM
Guess it don't really matter. I listed this big rip saw (8tpi) on ebay........238953238954we'll see how it goes.....

Mark Dorman
08-12-2012, 9:37 PM
Thing does look big. Man you sure have the rust resources in your area.