PDA

View Full Version : Low Angle Jack Rabbet

Frank Carnevale
08-10-2012, 1:39 PM
Hi All...just poked into the LN site and see they have a new tool...the low angle jack rabbet. Have you seen this? Thoughts? Havent seen anything posted here yet on this. I surely dont need anymore planes but i do always like looking.

JohnPeter Lee
08-10-2012, 1:45 PM
I saw one in action last weekend at the LN workshop with Roy Underhill. It made small work of raising a panel for the door that the class was constructing. Roy was quite smitten with it. I did not try it myself, opting for the "standard" 10-1/2 plane. The LN 610 is certainly a very very nice plane.

regards,
JP

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-10-2012, 2:50 PM
About the only regular use I can think of for one in my work would be raising panels, I just don't make enough rabbets large enough to warrant it. That said, I'm sure it's one of those tools that if I had it, there would be times I reached for it and was glad to have it. If breadboard ends were something I made regularly, I'm sure it might be helpful.

Seems like getting the blade in and out would be a bit of a hassle - my first instinct was that a bevel down plane would make that easier, but the Stanley 10 1/2 style planes, you still can't just feed the blade through the mouth, because the chipbreaker prevents this.

Might be nice to have the tilting knob and handle of a 10 1/2, but I'm not sure how much use that would actually be to me - might just be the gizmocity factor, there.

If your main use is panel raising, the money might be better spent on buying or making a wooden plane.

The length might be nice for longer rabbets, but again, when I make longer rabbets, but if I was making long rabbets and didn't want to register with a fence and depth stop, I'd be tempted to look a long wooden rabbet plane.

Certainly not something I'd turn down being given, but not something I'd seek out. But money is tight right now for me. For someone else, it might be a must have for what they build.

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 3:02 PM
Hi Frank -

You may want to look at this one too....only 3 weeks away....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/768.jpg

Tilting handle, adjustable throat, and a fence that mounts both sides....

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Neeley
08-10-2012, 3:07 PM
Nice, Rob...

Gabe Shackle
08-10-2012, 3:08 PM
That looks great! Can't wait to see it in action.

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 3:10 PM
Nice, Rob...

Thanks - it's even nicer in person... I just don't want to ruin the anticipation of seeing the fall catalogue back cover by posting the real photo....

Cheers -

Rob

Tony Zaffuto
08-10-2012, 3:12 PM
Advance order discounts? Will it ship by September 30th (birthday) or do I have to wait until Christmas?

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 3:20 PM
Advance order discounts? Will it ship by September 30th (birthday) or do I have to wait until Christmas?

Hi Tony!

If you order one - I'll personally add a birthday gift in there, and make sure it arrives on time.... :)

I still "owe" you for the playoff puck... even used it in the shrine this year....not that it helped much!

Planes should be on the shelf by Aug 29th.... choice of A2, O1, PM-V11 blades too....

Cheers -

Rob

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-10-2012, 3:22 PM
Adjustable throat sounds nice - besides the setting the plane to the work, I'm assuming you could quickly get the blade out that way, huh?

I still would love to see a Veritas take on the 51, Rob.

Prashun Patel
08-10-2012, 3:26 PM
Rob, I think I asked the question b4, but forgot the answer: Any rabbet block plane in your crystal ball?

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 3:41 PM
Rob, I think I asked the question b4, but forgot the answer: Any rabbet block plane in your crystal ball?

Hi Prashun!

At the moment no... we went with the skewed rabbets only. So, if you want a non-skewed one - buy Tom's!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 3:46 PM
Adjustable throat sounds nice - besides the setting the plane to the work, I'm assuming you could quickly get the blade out that way, huh?

I still would love to see a Veritas take on the 51, Rob.

Hi Joshua -

Yes - the blade's a lot easier to get out with an adjustable mouth.

We've been working on a mitre plane.... but not quite ready to pull the trigger on it yet. Still struggling with LH/RH issues, and the tooling costs involved for the "52" part...

All of these products take years (a decade?) to recover the costs sunk in tooling.... so we have to be careful what order we work on things, and how many we do in a given area (we don't do just planes!)...

Cheers -

Rob

Frank Carnevale
08-10-2012, 3:58 PM
That looks quite sweet also rob! I am not in the market for either (at the moment) but like. Good post bout "new stuff"... Especially when the little lady needs Xmas hints :)

Jim R Edwards
08-10-2012, 5:59 PM
I have one and like it very much. I have used it extensively on a dresser that I am building and I really enjoy using it. Matter of fact, I think I am going to use my LV bevel up jack as a shooting plane and the LN jack rabbet plane for an all around user. My only complaints are it is difficult to adjust and the lever cap is a bit narrow. My LV bevel up jack is much easier to adjust the blade.

paul cottingham
08-10-2012, 6:29 PM
Hi Frank -

Cheers -

Rob
Sweet candy, can't wait.
You, sir are a tease.

Rob Lee
08-10-2012, 6:48 PM
Sweet candy, can't wait.
You, sir are a tease.

Yeah.....

I have to have my fun before the catalogue hits.... I'll be out of the country when y'all get it....

:)

Cheers -

Rob

Tony Zaffuto
08-10-2012, 7:12 PM
Hi Tony!

If you order one - I'll personally add a birthday gift in there, and make sure it arrives on time.... :)

I still "owe" you for the playoff puck... even used it in the shrine this year....not that it helped much!

Planes should be on the shelf by Aug 29th.... choice of A2, O1, PM-V11 blades too....

Cheers -

Rob

Great! I got to get you down here to a Pens game!

T.Z.

Rob Lee
08-11-2012, 7:18 PM
Great! I got to get you down here to a Pens game!

T.Z.

Hi Tony -

Actually, we headed to south Pittsburgh (Madison) for a few days after Avoca. I feel kinda guilty at not giving you a shout...but it was a family outing. Saw the Carnegie Museum, The Zoo, and the Mattress Factory (art installations). Then headed to Fallingwater for a tour. A nice break!

Don't know how you folks deal with all that traffic!!!

Cheers -

Rob

Trevor Walsh
08-12-2012, 9:52 AM
Damnit Rob. the 610 seemed like a done deal. Now I don't know that is happening, thanks. Would the mitre plane you guys are thinking about be more like a cabinet makers block plane? While not as glitzy as a 51 type it makes left/right a non issue.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I imagine something like a U-shaped section, with the skewed mouth in the center, so you could use the same casting, with some machining difference, to mount the frog on either side. Or maybe even make it switchable. Of course, that would mean you'd have to sharpen the blade with a skew, since you couldn't mount the frog in the same odd way the 51 does to get the skew, or it wouldn't clear the casting.

This is one of those times I'm not upset about a product taking years to develop. If a Veritas chute plane actually happens, by the time they've got something, I might actually have the money.

Tony Zaffuto
08-12-2012, 5:35 PM
Hi Tony -

Actually, we headed to south Pittsburgh (Madison) for a few days after Avoca. I feel kinda guilty at not giving you a shout...but it was a family outing. Saw the Carnegie Museum, The Zoo, and the Mattress Factory (art installations). Then headed to Fallingwater for a tour. A nice break!

Don't know how you folks deal with all that traffic!!!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob,

I deal with the traffic by living about 2 hours north of the city! I got my "hockey route" memorized and it goes quickly (unless we get shellacked). We get to the zoo at least once a year and Falling Water is a treasure that has to be seen in person.

T.Z.

Brian Ashton
11-04-2012, 1:56 AM
Hi Frank -

Cheers -

Rob

Bit of an old thread but wanted to ask what program are you using to do the drawings.