PDA

View Full Version : Price advice?

Steve Busey
08-10-2012, 1:09 PM
I'm not a pro - got my laser to use as a wood hobbyist, but am not averse to taking some side jobs to help offset the cost. Last week I got a referral through a local woodworker.

I was asked to laser engrave a couple logos & some specs on a dozen 5"x12" wood samples for an upcoming woodworking show. It took about 11 minutes each to engrave the pieces (on my 35W Helix). Also took some time and back-and-forth (about an hour max) with the customer beforehand to get the artwork right.

How would you approach billing for the job? I want the price to be fair for a dozen chunks of wood and would love to get future business thru this opportunity.

Thanks for your help!

Mark Sipes
08-10-2012, 1:56 PM
Just my opinion but your laser is a valuable tool even for a hobbist... don't try to under cut the local shops in hopes to get additional work. I charge a shop minimum of $20 for custom set ups.... having to use customers logo etc fits that bill... Shop time/$ is 65 per hour and as a start laser time is $1 per minute..their wood. and I am at the low end for charging customers........ just ask my wife.. The time to work with the customer at the beginning is customer relations.....what if they set your cards out at the show and tout your laser work........ Minimum job charge is $100 -$120 up to $200....... a good deal would be $80-85 plus tax.....you are retail now! so a business license is a must...... You may not have a large overhead but charging a tube or replacing parts will COST YOU ! so start banking for the day.

Mike Null
08-10-2012, 2:07 PM
When I started 15 years ago a lot of people said charge $1.00 a minute. It wasn't enough then and it's sure not enough now. But, as a hobbyist, you don't have to worry about competition or making a profit so do what makes you happy.

Steve Busey
08-13-2012, 1:42 PM
Thanks Mark & Mike - kinda echoes what I was thinking. Will discuss it further tomorrow with "the middleman" who referred me the job.