PDA

View Full Version : Crown Pro-Pm vs Ellsworth bowl gouge

Raymond Sprouse
08-10-2012, 6:00 AM
I have been looking at buying a new bowl gouge. I have read a lot of good reviews about both the Crown Pro-Pm and Ellsworth bowl gouge. I see them both listed at Craft Supplies USA here (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Crown?Arg s=). I was wondering if there is any difference between the two types of gouges. Obviously there is a price difference and the Ellsworth gouge has his signature and grind already on it. Any thoughts on this?

Gary Max
08-10-2012, 8:00 AM
I own both---------- save your money buy the Crown. They are both high quality tools.

Thom Sturgill
08-10-2012, 8:27 AM
I own the Ellsworth signature gouge - not the PM version. I bought it from Packard (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-ellsw-gouge) who sells both versions. I wish I had bought the PM versoin as it does hold a better edge, and is what he uses when he travels. In addition to the grind, I believe the Ellsworth gouges have a slightly different flute shape which affects both the grind profile and the chip removal. The latter is probably not significant for most profiles, but I also have the Jimmy Clewes gouges made by Thompson and find that I have to stop and wipe out the flute regularly with them because of the sharper V design.

I find that each gouge design (and grind) has its own strengths and weaknesses and sometimes I will pick up a particular gouge for one cut or to work one area. I probably only notice this because I went on a buying spree before I retired and determined to buy a wide selection of tools while I had the cash flow to do so.

Bob Bergstrom
08-10-2012, 10:48 AM
There is a difference between the two. If you look down the flutes Ellsworth is parabolic. The PM is a little more "U" shape. I think the machining of the Ellsworth adds to the cost. I have two Ellsworth's and really like them. If you prefer the "U" shape the other will work fine. Probably one area the two will show the difference is in the bottom of the bowl. In Ellsworth's video he demonstrates arcing the cut into the bottom of deep bowls to get around this. Thompsons work just as well at a better price( if you make your handle).

Kyle Iwamoto
08-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I have the Crown Ellsworth PM and it is one of my favorites. It's a 3/4" so the finishing gets done my my 1/2" gouges. As mentioned, if you're comparing the regular Pro PM to a regular HSS Ellsworth, it really is like comparing apples to pears. PM hold the edge "better". Or you could get the Crown Ellsworth Pro PM. Just a side note, if you do get the Ellsworth, you'll need to be able to duplicate his grind when you sharpen.