PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on the Incra V27 or V120

Troy Turner
08-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I did a search and there are some older threads ('09 and '10) on this, but I'm curious if there are any new inputs.

I've come to realize that Incra = Quality and precision. Not to mention they're based outta Texas :)

Anyhow, the v27 is a little cheaper and has the positive stops that I'm sure the majority of us use. I'm going over my projects over the last 10 years and don't remember anything that I made who's angle didn't end in 0 or 5. Plus it has special stops at 22.5.

I've been told I could get either one (well, when it shows up, it'll already be here and not much can be done then ;)).

Will I regret down the road if I don't get the v120?

glenn bradley
08-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I have a couple of V-27's and they have met all my needs at the tablesaw and router table. Like you, if I reflect back over the years, the number of times I have needed an angle that the V-27 wasn't already milled for (a positive stop that is) might be once(?). For a tool that I use almost every day, I wouldn't have let a small price difference stop me from the V-120 if it had been available when I got mine. I wouldn't have known at the time that it was more than I needed and it sounds like you don't know at this time if it is more than you'll need or not. For the price difference, I'd go for it :).

John Lifer
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I've got a 1000SE which is the V27 with a fence. I've no issue with smaller than 5 degree angles, just use the small gauge on end to set. I DO like my fence, If I were you, I'd upgrade a bit more if you can get away with it:) If not, just go with the V27

Bill Huber
08-10-2012, 8:55 AM
I just have the V27 and it has done just fine for me, I did put a 3/4" MDF fence on it that I can adjust. I also had the 1000SE and sold it, just did not like it. So now I have the V27 and and EB-3 and between the two they are great, the V27 for smaller lengths and the EB-3 for longer and when I need a stop.

John Lifer
08-30-2012, 8:28 AM
Heads up if you (or anyone else) is looking for V120, Rockler just put out special buy at $59.99.
Go grab you one!

Bill White
08-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I use the 1000SE. Love it, and would highly recc. it. Very repeatable.
Bill

Richard Wagner
08-30-2012, 4:02 PM
I use a V120 and I absolutely swear by it. It is as accurate as I believe anyone needs for "wood working" and it was not prohibitively expensive. Do I need all of the stops? I don't know yet. I have used only a few and anyone reading this can probably tell me which ones. That probably says "over kill" but the capability will be there if I ever need them.

Jack Wilson50
09-01-2012, 9:34 AM
I have the 1000SE, with the vernier scale lets you set it to any angle. I like ti al lot and would recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their miter gauge.

ian maybury
09-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Mitre 1000 HD here mounted on a Hammer K3 slider. (the bar needed packing with UHMW tape and shimming with a strip of aluminium to get it mounted in the Felder T slot)

Not that much use yet, but reassuringly solid - more so than expected. It seems to hold it's squareness very well - even cutting large sheets of ply that may bump it.

Haven't yet tested how accurate the angle settings are, but have no reason to expect it won't be fine...

ian

Don Sundberg
09-02-2012, 6:52 PM
I have used several of the stops and on several ocassions used the vernier to set some angle at xx.x degree not available in the stops of either of my Incra miter gages. I have a 1000 SE shimmed up for the Bosch and a 1000HD for the Unisaw. Of course they couldn't be the same:( It looks like neither has a vernier (v27 va v120) so it's a moot point. The engineer in me does like them though.

Don.

Troy Turner
09-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Heads up if you (or anyone else) is looking for V120, Rockler just put out special buy at $59.99.
Go grab you one!

Yes they did and I grabbed one :D Thanks for all the advice ya'll. Can't wait till it comes in!!!