PDA

View Full Version : Need some vector help on a logo

nathan mcafee
08-09-2012, 7:30 PM
I am 3 hours into trying to use corel trace to get a simple vector logo from the one attached. I used vector magic but the result had so many small and crossed lines it is unusable. Anyone willing to help me get started? I have watched some youtube videos but am still making this much harder than I think it should be. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2012, 7:52 PM
Pay $15-20 and have it done by a professional. There are people on this forum that do that for a living and it's so inexpensive it's not worth your time.

You've already burned 3 hours, there's so much going on with that, you'll be there a while longer.

Honestly, sub it out. There is a guy called the Vector Doctor (google him), and the Excaliber Creations, which is William Desrochers on this forum (search this forum for his contact info). I can't speak for them on pricing, but I haven't seen one over $25 yet, and both of those guys are outstanding.

nathan mcafee
08-09-2012, 8:18 PM
Good advice. I badly want to know how to do this but I may be making an assumption that I could get to the point of running it through Corel Trace, do a little node cleanup and have a usable logo. Could be that it is not realistic. I will search the link you provided. Thanks.

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2012, 8:47 PM
Yeah, I've been there, done that. I was convinced I needed to know how to do it and I was going to jump into the fire and learn. Wrong. Could I manually trace that myself, now? Yes. But it's taken years to be able to do. I got to where I am with it from taking less complex things, like text or fonts I don't have and going through the process on them. It would also take me a while to do it. I can't compete with the guys listed. For me to match them, I'd have to be able to do it in 15 minutes and I can't do that.

Hang in there, you'll get it and you'll get better and better and you'll find that point at which it makes sense to sub out and when it makes sense for you to do.

Dee Gallo
08-09-2012, 9:38 PM
Nathan,

I did not get to see the logo you are working on, but I would like to suggest you start with some small and simple images to get more familiar with CorelDraw tools and develop your hand-eye coordination which will improve very quickly once you understand what's what.

If you have absolutely zero skills, you should start with a heart shape. You can either paste a clipart heart or use a font heart, but then use the drawing tool and bezier curve tool to make the shape (lock the clipart first so it does not bother you). Next, draw a star using the same techniques. Then move them off the clipart and arrange them to overlap a little and play with the shaping options (front minus back, weld, etc.) This simple exercise will teach you a lot and not take hours of your time.

I often had new students start by trying to draw a snowman (3 sections, three buttons, eyes-nose-mouth, stick arms, scarf) to practice drawing tools and arranging skills. Most people try to start at the end and don't take the time to get a solid base of understanding first... this only leads to frustration.

hope this helps, dee

Mike Null
08-10-2012, 6:50 AM
When you use Trace be sure to try all the options. I can often get a high quality image with Trace but not always. Sometimes I draw it myself and sometimes I send it out. I use Excaliber when I send something out.