PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Appliances

Matt Meiser
08-09-2012, 3:51 PM
The washing machine thread reminded me...

My wife and I have decided that when we redo our kitchen we are going to spring for new appliances. Our dishwasher is 8 years old and is getting a little worn looking but works fine. Our microwave is at least 6 or 7 and the fridge is around 5. Gas stove is only 2, but we paid next to nothing for it net after a series of blunders on Home Depot/Whirlpool's part and selling our old electric stove and we hate trying to keep the light colored porcelain burner grates clean. Everything we have is white and we'd like to switch to stainless

We went window shopping a couple weeks ago. We really like the appearance of the GE stoves and microwaves. We're thinking of going with the top of the line standard line GE convection gas range or the entry level of the Profile line. Neither of us has used a convection oven but it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. We'd get the matching microwave, nothing fancy needed there. Also looking at a GE fridge basically because we liked the features of their counter-depth side by side. Any comments on GE appliances in general? The salesman at a reputable local dealer said that's what he's got himself. Then again, he's a salesman so...:D

For a dishwasher I'm under the impression there's Bosch and there's everything else?

Prashun Patel
08-09-2012, 4:06 PM
in dishwashers, Miele and Bosch are excellent names (that's what my anecdotal research revealed). The thing is the "European" styles tend to be a little smaller than the American styles.

I just replaced all the appliances in my kitchen. FWIW, Jennair and some other brands are having specials right now: buy a oven/mw + cook top --> get free dishwasher.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2012, 4:14 PM
We're 6 - 8 months (I'm thinking) away from buying but I want to try to narrow down WHAT to buy so we don't have to spend a bunch of time during the crunch time figuring that part out.

Kevin Bourque
08-09-2012, 6:00 PM
We're 6 - 8 months (I'm thinking) away from buying but I want to try to narrow down WHAT to buy so we don't have to spend a bunch of time during the crunch time figuring that part out.

There are plenty of good deals on craigslist

Joel Goodman
08-09-2012, 6:24 PM
+1 on Bosch dishwasher. Very quiet and seems reliable and while not cheap, not super $$$$.

Bill Cunningham
08-09-2012, 9:43 PM
My wife used to own a maid service, her advice is "Don't buy Stainless" it's impossible to keep clean, fingerprints, hand prints, it seems to attract them, and they stick out like a sore thumb.. You can't touch it without leaving a mark. If you have kids/grandchildren hand prints will be the norm.. And unless the fridge is low quality stainless (Chineseium) it won't hold a 'fridge magnet'

Matt Meiser
08-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I consider the lack of magnetism a plus :D

Jim Koepke
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
And unless the fridge is low quality stainless (Chineseium) it won't hold a 'fridge magnet'

Isn't that why they make double sided Duck Tape?

jtk

Eric DeSilva
08-10-2012, 10:27 AM
My current house has GE profile, and I think the last one was GE monogram. Sadly, magnets do just barely adhere, so you still get stuff on the fridge, with the added bonus that it falls off a lot. The stuff has held up fine, but if I was starting from scratch with a clean slate...

-- I would definitely go Bosch or Miele for the DW; last time I compared, I think the Bosch edged out the Miele in my mind.

-- My ovens have been convection for the last 15 years, and I've always used convection rather than "normal" baking. That said, either I'm used to it or it doesn't make that much of a difference, since I don't have to adjust recipes for a faster cooking time. I find turkeys cook faster than the recipe calls for, but I'm more convinced that is because I do stuffing outside the bird and buy organic birds.

-- If I was buying another stove/rangetop, I'd probably go with a 36" or 48" Wolf with a flat top insert. But, I like cooking a lot--I'm guessing that may be overkill for a lot of folks.

-- I hate the current crop of refrigerators. I'm not sure why the powers that be decided everything should be put in the door--means the shelves are nearly useless. I hate to be cliche, but I'd probably go with a large Subzero--I want a fridge large enough to put a half sheet pan in, and I haven't found anything else that will do it.

-- Microwaves I really don't care much about. As long as it works and matches...

Prashun Patel
08-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Matt, are you doing a cooktop or range?
If cooktop, then my research led me to conclude that there is little difference in quality here.

I'm not sure why people are hepped up on Bosch dw's. IMHO, wash quality is a function of the detergent you use (and adding a little TSP if you wish). The biggest annoyance for me is that the racks tend to corrode and rust over time. I don't know that Bosch or Miele or anyone has found a solution to that. Also, my installer advises me that there's Bosch Chinese manufactured and Bosch German manufactured. Either way, make sure there's no long lead time on replacement parts - as is reputedly the case with some of the Korean brands (Samsung/LG).

If you are getting a wall oven, my installer also counselled me to get a double wall oven and a countertop MW, since the mw's are quicker to go, and pricey to replace when in-wall. This means more upfront $$, and I decided against it. Also, know that many newer breeds of mw's have convection features that make them basically small ovens. Nice thing is you can theoretically bake small things in them. Bad thing is they're as a class smaller than the one I'm used to using.

Art Mulder
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
For a dishwasher I'm under the impression there's Bosch and there's everything else?

I've said it before (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185930-Dishwasher-need-a-new-one-anyone-go-through-the-pain&p=1921041#post1921041) and I'll say it again... ;)

I've had a Bosch DW for 12+ years, but I'd think twice about getting one again. My next DW will have a food grinder.
(and just to forestall the inevitable comment: we DO scrape the plates before washing. Stuff still gets missed every now and then and clogs the inlets. Not to mention that anyone with kids knows that kids forget and cut corners so scraping isn't always perfect either...)

I've got my eye on a French-door type Fridge for our next fridge. I love the bottom-mount freezer and will not give it up. But I might consider a counter-depth unit, to make the kitchen feel a bit more open (we've got a galley-style kitchen) if we can find one with the right capacity.

best,
...art

Matt Meiser
08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
We are getting a standard 30" range.

We originally wanted a french door fridge but two things. First, they are about $1000 more than a side by side. Second, the ice maker takes up fridge space instead of freezer space, and you loose pretty much all the door space on one door to the dispenser.

David Weaver
08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
We're using a glass top ge convection oven (black not stainless) and the MIL is using the same thing in the profile line (the front is curved, no other difference between the two that I can see) . Both of us have been using them for about 7 years. I like the oven, the temp control is very accurate once it's preheated a while. Top is easy to clean, and no problems otherwise.

Jerome Stanek
08-10-2012, 1:55 PM
Why do women wear white at their wedding?

All kitchen appliances come in white

Brian Elfert
08-10-2012, 2:17 PM
We are getting a standard 30" range.

We originally wanted a french door fridge but two things. First, they are about $1000 more than a side by side. Second, the ice maker takes up fridge space instead of freezer space, and you loose pretty much all the door space on one door to the dispenser.

Prices on the french door units have come down a lot. I paid around $1,200 for mine in March 2011. My unit has the ice maker inside the fridge, but not in the door.

Peter Kelly
08-10-2012, 2:58 PM
I've got one of the GE Profile gas ranges and can't wait to get rid of it. The flame tends to go out on the lowest setting and just leaks gas and the ignition system only works about 50% of the time. Stove is 5 years old and gets moderate use.

Bluestar (http://www.bluestarcooking.com/) or nothing for ranges. For me anyway.

Matt Meiser
08-10-2012, 4:24 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking that Wolf and Bluestar are a little out of my price range.

Brian, when we compared GE and Frigidaire SxS and French door models at our local place the french door models were $1k more. One could go with a Whirlpool brand and get a cheaper french door. I sure won't. We stopped last week at one local home-type place that started carrying appliances a year or so ago and they had signs that said "Quality Name Brand Appliances" but all I could find were the Whirlpool brands.

Peter Kelly
08-10-2012, 5:57 PM
Might check out the Bosch 700 ranges series then. Comes with a convection oven.

Brian Elfert
08-10-2012, 8:10 PM
My french door fridge is a Whirlpool. I did a lot of research and the Whirlpool had decent ratings. All of my kitchen appliances except my fridge are Kenmore mostly made by Whirlpool and they have treated me right so far,

Appliance brands can be kinda like cars. Some people refuse to buy certain brands of cars and some won't buy certain brands of appliances.

Matt Meiser
08-10-2012, 9:35 PM
Exactly. Mine goes back to a long list of defective/poorly designed Kenmore (Whirlpool) machines my parents bought in the late 80's, and replaced within 5 years, a post Whirlpool "Maytag" dryer that lasted us three years and a less than satisfactory experience with our current Maytag stove that mostly revolves around damaged (in one case literally destroyed) appliances that were sealed into cartons at the factory. I watched them open both--no way this damage happened in the box. That and outright lies about a check to reimburse us for accepting a second unit with a factory mistake in the paint. I believe in mistakes and second chances, but I'm not giving them any more. And Whirlpool is a Michigan company and I'm someone who buys domestic cars because I want to support the Michigan economy.

There has to be a reason the Whirlpool fridges are cheaper. I'm not going for generosity.

I'm not a fan of the way GE does business, but unless you go to a high end brand there's basically Whirlpool, GE and Electrolux. And I've had some experience with one high end manufacturer that leads me to distrust them.

Joel Goodman
08-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Re: The Bosch DW -- yes you have to pull the little screen at the bottom once in a while as no grinder. Yes it's a little fiddly to get it back in -- somehow the 1/4 turn bayonet doesn't always line up as expected -- but -- mine is super quiet and has been reliable. Re: Top end stuff like Viking stoves. Be aware that you need the special guy to fix it who is big $$$. I have a great local shop who repairs everything else and is totally wonderful. In future I'll stick to what they will repair. BTW on two appliances from Kenmore the knobs fell apart rather quickly.

Bruce Page
08-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Matt, we did a full remodel last year. After much research I decided to go with Kitchen Aid appliances and chose from their top of line. So far we have been very happy with our choices and I love the beer drawer in the fridge! :D

Here is what I ordered and paid Sept, 2011:

Refrigerator: KFXS25RYMS $1999
Dishwasher: KUDE50CXSS $1099
Electric Range: KERS308XSSS $1699
Microwave:KHHC2090SSS $879
DELIVERY ON ALL APPLIANCES $69.95
DISHWASHER INSTALL AND HAUL AWAY $97.88
OVER THE RANGE MICRO INSTALL $99.88
DISHWASHER INSTALL KIT $29.88
REFRIG HOOK UP KIT $9.88
RANGE POWER CORD $22.88
SUBTOTAL $6006.35 +TAX, $420.44 = $6426.79 GRAND TOTAL

Dan Friedrichs
08-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Thoughts:

1) I hate our french door refrigerator. While I'm sure the actual factor is exactly 50%, it sure seems like 98% of the time, I open the "wrong" side for what I'm trying to get out :)

2) Stainless steel is easily cleaned and kept perfectly fingerprint-proof by wiping it down with WD-40 or other very lightweight oil every few months.

3) I'm a fairly serious baker, and can't tell the difference between our convection oven and previous non-convection.

david a graham
08-10-2012, 11:30 PM
For what it is worth I purchased all GE 5 years ago and based on performance of the dishwasher and refrigerator I would suggest you research carefully before buying. My side by side refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker have been problems all along and after the second GE dishwasher failed, I went with a Kenmore.

Harry Hagan
08-11-2012, 8:27 AM
I didn't like hearing this. Especially since they're produced locally.

http://www.geappliances.com/products/recall/dishwasher_2012/

Brian Tymchak
08-11-2012, 9:30 AM
Matt, we did a full remodel last year. After much research I decided to go with Kitchen Aid appliances and chose from their top of line. So far we have been very happy with our choices and I love the beer drawer in the fridge! :D

+1 on the Kitchenaid appliances.

8 years ago when we bought our home, we had to put in all new kitchen appliances except for cook top/hood. (The previous owners had raided the house taking all appliances, light fixtures, etc they could.) We bought Kitchenaid refrigerator and dishwasher, Thermadore double convection ovens, all stainless. Very happy with our choices so far, although I am very envious of the "beer drawer" in your fridge! :cool: Not 1 service call needed for any of the appliances to date. Can't remember 1 dish or piece of flatware coming out of the dishwasher not clean. It took my wife a while to get the hang of the convection ovens since they cook so much more efficiently than the old gas oven we had at the previous house. I don't really notice finger prints on the stainless, although we don't have kids in the house. I think most stainless appliances are "brushed" surfaces now that hinder/hide finger prints. And they clean up easily with a quick shot of windex.

Barry Gibson
08-11-2012, 11:54 PM
I have all GE Monogram stainless steel appliances that were in a new house we purchased in 2004. The electric stove has had to be replaced 3 times, all with bad circuit boards. GE said "we have never seen this before". Further, our dishwasher has been repaired four times. No problems with the refrigerator, stove top (electric) or microwave. Based on my experience, I will not purchase any GE appliances again. Getting service was a pain, and having seven repairs in a relatively short period of time for high end appliances is not something I would expect.

Barry

dennis thompson
08-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Matt
For what it's worth,yesterday our 10 year old Maytag dryer stopped working & we called a repairman we've been using for a long time & I trust. I thought we might need a new dryer & asked him about that, he said:
1-don't buy a new one keep fixing this one, as the 10 year old ones are made better than the current ones (this was our first repair on the dryer)
2-if I do have to eventually buy a new one, keep it simple, avoid all the bells & whistles. He felt Whirlpool, Maytag & Kitchen Aid are pretty much all the same & recommended them
I mentioned that I had seen dryers for up to $1500 & he said dryers are pretty simple machines & one for about $500 would work fine.
I have to agree with the "keep it simple" philosophy, we have a Viking range (came with the new house) which can do anything, but , of course we just use it as a basic range (my wife hates it) The other day she was out & I had to start dinner in the oven, I'm pretty mechanical but I think I called my wife 2-3 times just to get the oven going!
Dennis
PS he was able to fix our dryer for only$145, we were pretty happy with that

Matt Meiser
08-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Dennis, we have the same vintage Maytag washer and dryer and I've heard the same advise. Our previous dryer was Maytag Performa we got with our first house. The people had just bought it but couldn't take it with them as their new house didn't have gas. Performa which was Whirlpools first dumbing down of the Maytag name. The motor went on it in 3 years and a replacement was almost as much as a new old stock real Maytag the dealer had in stock (they gave us a deal because their repairman mis-diagnosed the problem and broke the timer in the process--he was having a bad day.) I've heard that advise over and over, and repair as long as possible is our laundry machine plan. I think I'm going to have them out to replace rollers on the dryer and check it over. Rollers I could do obviously but I'd like someone skilled to check everything else.

Jim Becker
08-12-2012, 9:26 PM

Meile and Bosch lead the pack on most lists, albeit the former is very, very expensive. But we recently chose a high-end Kitchenaid over a similar Bosch and couldn't be happier with our machine. The Bosch was great, but the rack configuration wasn't the best for "us" and it was actually slightly smaller in internal capacity than the one we bought.

Matt Meiser
08-13-2012, 8:22 AM
We went to the local appliance place again since we were in the neighborhood. I'm pretty sure we are going with the following:

GE top of the non-Profile line 5 burner/convection oven range. I like the 5 burner model, it comes as a convection.
GE microwave to match the above (fairly basic unit)
Bosch dishwasher (low/mid range model with a stainless tub)
Frigidaire Gallery side by side counter depth fridge

All the above would come in right about $3200 delivered before tax. He said pricing could change around September 1 but only maybe 1% or so. He said we'll want to buy before 12/31 though as the big price increases often come on 1/1. He felt pretty confident that the models we chose would be available through the end of the year, or if one is discontinued, the replacement wouldn't be noticeably different.

I tried the screen on the Bosch. It comes in and out really easily. I did it a number of times and never had any issue with lining it up so maybe they have addressed the complaint Art and Joel noted. I asked my mom too and she said hers goes back in easily. She said she never really finds much in there and I learned prewashing from her (and taught it to my wife who didn't have a dishwasher before who taught it to my daughter) so we'll probably do about the same.

Greg Portland
08-13-2012, 4:22 PM
My wife used to own a maid service, her advice is "Don't buy Stainless" it's impossible to keep clean, fingerprints, hand prints, it seems to attract them, and they stick out like a sore thumb.. You can't touch it without leaving a mark. If you have kids/grandchildren hand prints will be the norm.. And unless the fridge is low quality stainless (Chineseium) it won't hold a 'fridge magnet'
There are metal options that look like stainless but don't show fingerprints (GE "cleansteel", etc.).

Greg Portland
08-13-2012, 4:42 PM
My parents have 2 drawer dishwashers (1/2 height)... they are really nice for smaller loads + you don't have to bend over (one on each side of the sink). They have not had any problems but it looks like the online reviews of current models are mixed (at best).

John Coloccia
08-13-2012, 5:31 PM
Meile and Bosch lead the pack on most lists, albeit the former is very, very expensive. But we recently chose a high-end Kitchenaid over a similar Bosch and couldn't be happier with our machine. The Bosch was great, but the rack configuration wasn't the best for "us" and it was actually slightly smaller in internal capacity than the one we bought.

I had a Bosch in my last house, and a Meile in my current house. They both work very well, but the Bosch is just a little quieter. I remember not being able to tell when the Bosch was running, even sitting right on the other side of the counter from it.

Jim Becker
08-13-2012, 8:35 PM
One "secret" to reducing hand and finger marks on SS appliances is a very thin wiped on coat of mineral oil once in awhile...

Harry Hagan
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Matt
For what it's worth,yesterday our 10 year old Maytag dryer stopped working & we called a repairman we've been using for a long time & I trust. I thought we might need a new dryer & asked him about that, he said:
1-don't buy a new one keep fixing this one, as the 10 year old ones are made better than the current ones (this was our first repair on the dryer)
2-if I do have to eventually buy a new one, keep it simple, avoid all the bells & whistles. He felt Whirlpool, Maytag & Kitchen Aid are pretty much all the same & recommended them
I mentioned that I had seen dryers for up to $1500 & he said dryers are pretty simple machines & one for about $500 would work fine.
I have to agree with the "keep it simple" philosophy, we have a Viking range (came with the new house) which can do anything, but , of course we just use it as a basic range (my wife hates it) The other day she was out & I had to start dinner in the oven, I'm pretty mechanical but I think I called my wife 2-3 times just to get the oven going!
Dennis
PS he was able to fix our dryer for only$145, we were pretty happy with that

I'm still using a 38-year-old Maytag washer and dryer set that an employee's wife replaced with a Whirlpool set back in the 70s. She want more more bells and whistles and had convinced her husband that the washer was malfunctioning. My total investment to date consists of $5 for a power cord to get the washer running and the cost of a replacement timer for the washer about ten years ago.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2012, 3:26 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them today. This is why I like dealing with the local place.
- I "bought" them today
- They are ordering them next week.
- They are storing them until I ask for them to be delivered (for free) in November/December. Which means no concerns about back orders/discontinued models/price increases at the last minute. If its a problem, we'll know in a week and have plenty of time to figure it out.
- I get 18 months same as cash financing (we don't NEED to finance them but,)
- The charges are pre-authorized but don't actually hit my account until delivery. So basically someone else is paying for them to sit and wait for me.