PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection - show me your miter saw hood!

Mike Henderson
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I have to build a hood to improve the dust collection on my miter saw. I know several people on the forum have built hoods that work well for them. How about sharing what you did and what improvements you'd make.

Mike

Rick Potter
08-09-2012, 1:15 PM
Sam Layton had a real nice one. Pics are here somewhere.

Rick Potter

David Hostetler
08-09-2012, 4:10 PM
Sliding or fixed?

I am working on one, for a slider, Going to be a pretty simple arrangement, a simple box, with a semicircle of that plastic sheeting they use on bathroom walls arranged as a backstop, and a hole in the base below it in which to suck dust. A top to keep the dust from spewing everywhere. I need to source up some 1.25" hose, and I am simply going to drop the 1.25" hose down the 4" hole such that both ports are getting a good draw. I've seen this design in several places, looks solid. Some have done the backsplash thing in metal. Plastic is cheaper, and not as suceptible to denting. I guess I could try to steam bend hardboard or something like that, but I don't want to work that hard at it...

It's not my top priority project right now as I have a power project, and drawers for the same miter saw cabinet being built, but I had planned on posting pics when it was done...

Sam Layton
08-09-2012, 5:44 PM

Thanks Rick.

Hi Mike,

I have good luck with the dust collection from my SCMS. With the front closed, I get really good dust collection. When I want to make a miter cut, I remove which ever wing is necessary. With one or both wings removed I still get good dust collection. The wings are held on with one rare earth magnet each. The main dust collection hose is 6". The one built into the saw, I just ran into the 6". I get really good dust collection, and have full movement of my saw.

Sam

Mike Henderson
08-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Sam. I used your design as a starting point but I'm not yet satisfied with what I have. I'll do some more work on it tomorrow and see how it works.

Oh, and to answer the question above, it's a 12" non-slider (Bosch).

Mike

Jim Tobias
08-10-2012, 1:05 AM
Mikw,
Here is link to thread that I put pictures of my set up. Many other ideas on this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?166558-Miter-saw-dust-hood-question

Jim

Rich Engelhardt
08-10-2012, 7:47 AM
Mike,
A couple/three years ago I fooled around with using a big plastic tote (WalMart ~ $5.00) as a hood behind the CMS. It worked fair. It was worth the $5 for the tote & another few bucks for the shop vac fitting I stuck on it.
Just a month ago, I was widing up a rehab and had to redo some trim. The floors had already been refinished & I wanted to keep the dust down as much as possible.
I stuck the shop vac on the CMS in place of the dust bag & it did an ok job, but, there was still a lot of dust underneath the saw.
That got me thinking that maybe the best place for a collector isn't behind the CMS, but, underneath it.
I'm going to give that idea a try when I get a chance...anyhow - it's just a thought.

Ole Anderson
08-10-2012, 9:01 AM
I opened up the stud cavity behind my miter saw and put a 6" duct at the bottom. I closed off the cavity just above the hole. Added a couple of deflectors at the sides and top. I had a 90 degree rubber elbow from my old RAS which when fitted into the MS elbow, directs those chips in the direction of the airflow. Works quite well, plus I picked up 4 inches of space behind the saw.

Mike Henderson
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Okay, here's what I did. I built sides and a back for my miter saw station and brought the dust collection pipe in from the top (since my dust collection is run on the ceiling).

I used a blast gate at the top of the "Y" you see in the picture. On leg of the Y goes to a 2 1/2" hose that connects to the dust collection port on the saw. The other leg of the Y goes down and then runs across the back of the hood. The piece of pipe that runs across the back of the hood has a slot cut into it.

I found out that when you cut PVC pipe, it tends to close up so I had to put spacer blocks on both ends of the pipe, inside the cut, to get the pipe back to 4". That piece of pipe is not glued (none of my dust collection pipe is glued) so I can turn it . For normal operation, the slot is turned down to pick up swarf that doesn't go through the port on the saw.

So far, it works well. I can swivel the saw 45* in either direction without interference from the hood. If I tilt the saw, I have to take one side off.

I don't have a lot of time on the system yet but it seems to work. I'll report back after I have more experience with it.

Mike

Clint Olver
08-11-2012, 1:13 AM
If you slide the top portions of your fence out to the side, you may get less saw dust bouncing back on the bed. It make a difference on my Dewalt 12".

Here's my set up...

C

Victor Stearns
08-11-2012, 9:20 AM
Several pictures of my current setup.