PDA

View Full Version : Cermark Rusting

Tucker Alford
08-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Cermark on Stainless

Any ideas on why this is rusting? I'm thinking something coating the stainless from the manufacturer. I've done hundreds of similar plates & this is a first. You can remove the oxidation but it comes back within days when exposed to moisture/humidity. The Cermark seems to have good bond & color.

Mike Null
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I suspect that you are using a low grade stainless. I have seen some rust on certain stainless that didn't have a high enough chromium/nickel content . Never had a Cermark issue with rust.

Mark Sipes
08-09-2012, 2:34 PM
Where did you purchase your stainless......want to make sure I don't go there..... Never seen that happen in 18 years and I'm in the Northwest....

Tucker Alford
08-09-2012, 2:48 PM
Where did you purchase your stainless......want to make sure I don't go there..... Never seen that happen in 18 years and I'm in the Northwest....

I want to say this batch was from Bur-Lane

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2012, 3:23 PM
Just for the record, stainless WILL rust. It doesn't rust because a chemical reaction happens on the outer skin. It's air that causes that reaction. If you remove air, and it's a freshly cut surface, it will rust. Put a piece of wet lumber on a piece of stainless and leave it outside for a while. Pick up the lumber, the stainless will have rusted. I don't remember all the specific details and I might be saying it a little wrong, but I've seen stainless rust many times.

Why this rusted, I don't know, other than maybe it's a really poor grade of stainless that came from overseas somewhere.

dave cox
08-09-2012, 4:54 PM
I had stainless rust much the same as you are getting and it was because we were applying a protective material that wasn't letting air through. Stopped that and never had a problem since.

Gary Hair
08-09-2012, 6:42 PM
From wikipedia "Stainless steel does not corrode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion), rust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust) or stain with water as ordinary steel does, but despite the name it is not fully stain-proof, most notably under low oxygen, high salinity, or poor circulation environments."

I'm not a chemist, metallurgist, etc., but my guess is your example was stained, if the wiki is right anyway.

Gary

Bill Cunningham
08-09-2012, 9:27 PM
It's probably Chineseium.. !!