PDA

View Full Version : Robo Calls

Gary Hodgin
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
I hate them. Call-blocking, ignoring, filing FCC, FTC, and State Attorney General complaints hasn't slowed "Rachel from Card Services" down one bit. She always finds me. I'd really like to meet her someday. Does she call you folks? She's not the only one but she's the one I've had the longest relationship with.

John C Lawson
08-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Tiffany, too. Have you ever listened to the message all the way through? There is an opt-out option at the very end that seems to have worked so far.

David Dockstader
08-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I just decided that if I ever have a mistress, her name will have to be Rachel. My wife hangs up as soon as she hears the name!:p

Gary Hodgin
08-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Tiffany, too. Have you ever listened to the message all the way through? There is an opt-out option at the very end that seems to have worked so far.

Yep, tried it several times. Sometimes they hang up, sometimes they give you a cussing, and sometimes they tell you they'll take you off but don't. Tell them you'll report them in violation of state and federal Do Not Call and they pretty much laugh. State's attorney general's office basically told me they can't do anything.

These guys aren't legitimate businesses. They're after names and credit card numbers. I just hate to be disturbed by the darn phone ringing. For personal reasons (medical condition of 2 uncles), I can't ignore calls.

Joel Goodman
08-09-2012, 1:01 AM
Guy (or gal) who invented Robo call has a special place in hell.

John Coloccia
08-09-2012, 1:17 AM
These days, I answer the phone, put it on speaker and go about my business. When someone picks up, I keep going about my business and let them talk. Occasionally, I say something like, "Can you repeat that?"....and I keep going about my business, trying to stifle my laughter. Sometimes, I'm in a cross mood and I abuse them a bit. Other times, I pretend I'm interested for a good 10 or 20 minutes or so. In no case do I let it distract me. It's become a source of great amusement for me, and kind of breaks up the drudgery of sanding or carving. Sometimes, I'm doing machine work and I just pop in some ear plugs, turn on the dust collector and go about my business. Not sure what they think of that because they're never around when I finish.

I should mention that I get very few robo calls anymore. It seems like everyone has taken me off their list for some reason. I kind of miss them, actually, but no one wants to talk to me anymore.

Jim Koepke
08-09-2012, 1:26 AM
I have found that the card service calls seemed to have been reduced by pressing 3.
I used to press 1 at the beginning to get a human. They were just troglodytes who would hang up as soon as I started to ask them to stop calling. So instead, knowing they are wearing a head set, I would press one of the number buttons. There is a bit of satisfaction hearing them scream in pain while pulling the headset off.

At least then I could hang up. If you hang up on the recording, it still holds your line until their recorded message plays through.

Unfortunately this is a political year and we are bound to get more of these calls.

I tend to pick up the phone and not say anything for a second and just clear my throat. A human will know someone is on the line. If it is a machine calling, they are set to recognize a few greetings before starting. If the machine doesn't hear "hello" or some other programmed response, it hangs up.

On my computer is a sound file, sit.wav (special information tone) that is the signal the phone company attaches to unused numbers. Playing that tone sequence into a machine dialer will usually get your number removed from the data base.

If you search > sit.wav < you will find more information. The problem with having it on your answering machine is most scam callers only let it ring three times. Most answering machines answer on the fourth ring.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
08-09-2012, 2:20 AM
These days, I answer the phone, put it on speaker and go about my business. When someone picks up, I keep going about my business and let them talk. Occasionally, I say something like, "Can you repeat that?"....and I keep going about my business, trying to stifle my laughter. Sometimes, I'm in a cross mood and I abuse them a bit. Other times, I pretend I'm interested for a good 10 or 20 minutes or so. In no case do I let it distract me. It's become a source of great amusement for me, and kind of breaks up the drudgery of sanding or carving. Sometimes, I'm doing machine work and I just pop in some ear plugs, turn on the dust collector and go about my business. Not sure what they think of that because they're never around when I finish.

I should mention that I get very few robo calls anymore. It seems like everyone has taken me off their list for some reason. I kind of miss them, actually, but no one wants to talk to me anymore.

And I thought that I was the only one that liked jerking them around.

Curt Harms
08-09-2012, 8:04 AM
We have cordless phones from Vtech that in addition to caller ID try to 'speak' the caller's Caller ID info. Some of the 'pronunciations' are pretty amusing but "unavailable" is quite understandable and ignorable. I think when the political calls start and there's a flesh and blood person on the other end, I'm gonna tell 'em "Whoever calls last before the election, I'm gonna vote for the other guy. I would never want as my <office here> someone with so little respect for my personal space".

Myk Rian
08-09-2012, 8:26 AM
A few months ago there was a thread about these calls.
My comment was to write your Legislators, and tell them to put some teeth into the laws.

I got my ass chewed out by a couple people here.
Heck with it. We're getting rid of the house line.

Jim Laumann
08-09-2012, 8:57 AM
Add July / Julie / Jullie / Jullee to the list - always on my cell, not to mention the ship's whistle from one the cruise ship companys - again on my cell.

We got caller id added to our land line, and now, we just don't answer the phone unless its some one we know - other wise the machine gets it. A unknown person w/ a legit reason will leave a message, the telemarketers & politicans hang up when the machine kicks in.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2012, 9:00 AM
They "can't" do anything about the rachel calls because they are spoofing the caller ID. And the rachel recording is widely available so it not a company using it but many different scammers.

The Michigan Attorney General seems serious about going after them. I have a letter sitting on my desk from them where they contacted the caller and made them provide a bunch of information. I apparently put the wrong phone number in the complaint, but in the email the company accidentally admits to calling my other number and claims its not on the Do Not Call registry which it is, and I have the email proof so I intend to follow up.

The BBB doesn't appear to take kindly to even Accredited level businesses violating telemarketing laws too.

Gary Hodgin
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
A few months ago there was a thread about these calls.
My comment was to write your Legislators, and tell them to put some teeth into the laws.

I got my ass chewed out by a couple people here.
Heck with it. We're getting rid of the house line.

I missed the previous thread but I've contacted both my state reps about violations of the DNC lists but haven't heard anything. I did speak with the State Att. General's office and when I drilled down on him he basically admitted there's nothing they can do but accept complaints. I've probably filed 100 FTC complaints and about as many FCC complaints.

We need stronger laws and better enforcement. I always google the robo-caller number and see what's on 800notes.com. I found a link to a bogus public utility that operates in a few western states. It seems alot of the calls go through this utility's network and the utility is entirely set up to allow scammers to evade the DNC laws. I don't know how much of the information on the utility is true but it seems like law enforcement ought to look at it. It's not that the guys are just violating the DNC law but some are criminal conspiracies engaged in id theft and fraud.

http://telemarketerspam.wordpress.com/

Brian Elfert
08-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I must have a special phone number because I get very few telemarketing calls since the DNC was enacted. I very rarely get a call that isn't from a business I already deal with.

Gary Hodgin
08-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Brian,
I don't understand why some get these calls almost daily and others don't get them. I rarely get a call from someone I've had a business relationship with. I do get survey calls, political calls, charity calls, and maybe some other calls that aren't violations of the DNC law. I can deal with these. It's the credit card services, cruises and other such stuff that I'm objecting to, although I'd rather not have the legit calls. I haven't run a balance on my credit card in 20 years.

It's a nuisance to me, but it's worse for some others. I've got an uncle whose wife's is in real bad shape in a nursing home. He spends his days there but occasionally has to go up at night when she's calling for him. He doesn't have caller id, call blocking or even a computer. The guy's 86 years old. These people hound him every evening. Borders on domestic terrorism.

Joel Goodman
08-09-2012, 1:07 PM
Buddy of mine would ask the telemarketer for their home number -- when asked why he would say "so I can call you when you're having dinner"!

Jim Rimmer
08-09-2012, 1:24 PM
I have had probably a hundred "last chance" calls from the credit company scammer. I wish it was my last chance.

Matt Meiser
08-09-2012, 1:33 PM
I can't deal with the charity/political/survey calls. It really ticks me off that these groups were made themselves exempt from the law. Do Not Call should mean exactly that. I won't give to a charity that solicits this way as most that do are borderline illegitimate anyway. Most surveys are very thinly veiled attempts to sell a product or politician.

Gary Hodgin
08-09-2012, 2:20 PM
Matt,
You're right. There are some legal loopholes. When I get a live person I tell them I don't want any more calls. It's unclear to me but I've read where even those exempt from the law are not suppose to call you back if you've asked to be removed. But, you have to inform them of this even if you're on the DNC registry. This is why so many of these calls are robo and call back won't work. Legit companies typically don't want to violate the DNC law. It is a $1500 per violation fine and if it's a legit business they can be found and fined.

You're also right about the product surveys and alot of the political surveys. These days I just hang up after I tell them to remove me and if they call back I'll file a complaint. I used to give them false information.

Jim Koepke
08-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I must have a special phone number because I get very few telemarketing calls since the DNC was enacted. I very rarely get a call that isn't from a business I already deal with.

My discovery was that if you fill out a form they customers at our local hardware store for "a chance at free stuff" you will start getting calls.

Now every time I go in and the person asks me if I want a chance to win a free kitchen makeover or whatever, the answer is "NO" and they are told why.

jtk

phil harold
08-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Rachel has not called me for a long time
Infact I rarely get telemarketing scam calls, about 15 years ago I started reciting this spiel:

I am giving you official notice to put me on your do not call list.
If you continue to call I will take further legal action.
It is amazing how their attitudes change, only one person told me off, in all the years...

Jim Becker
08-12-2012, 9:23 PM
"Rachel" and her clones are not legal calls, so do not expect DNC lists, call-blocking, etc., to work. They never come from the same number (even that information is fraudulently generated for each call) and the origination isn't even likely within US jurisdiction. The best you can do is hang up.

Jerome Stanek
08-13-2012, 7:09 AM
If you think Rachel os bad dpwmload a demo for Bobcad and be prepared.

Jim Matthews
08-13-2012, 7:56 AM
I'll call you, John.

What's inconvenient for you?
Would you prefer a Philadelphia patter or Bangalore boiler-room for accent?

Jim Matthews
08-13-2012, 7:59 AM
Guy (or gal) who invented Robo call has a special place in hell.

Right next to the people who molest children and talk in theaters.

John McClanahan
08-13-2012, 8:04 AM
If you think Rachel os bad dpwmload a demo for Bobcad and be prepared.

That's for sure! As a BobCad user, I know what your saying!