PDA

View Full Version : Need some input on buffing

Ron Stadler
08-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Have any of you used the spare urethane finish from Helsman and if so can I buff this with white diamond or possibly caranuba wax. I want to give it a little extra shine and smooth finish on yet another Hollow form I am doing.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Ron - I have not used that particular finish but I do almost all my finishing with a gloss polyurethane. As long as you give the finish time to cure before you buff it - you shouldn't have any problem. Make sure that you don't use excessive speed or pressure while buffing because you don't want to melt the finish. Hope that helps...

Russell Neyman
08-08-2012, 10:52 PM
If there is any doubt, do a test piece. Take a scrap piece of the same wood, put some finish on it, then buff.

Ron Stadler
08-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok Steve, yep thats what I'm looking for, just tidbits of information and experiences you all have had, now I do remember some horror stories from people saying they had used a particular compound for buffing, I believe its the red one but could be white diamond and it left dots or something on their finish, I forgot though what kind of finish they had on or kind of wood maybe that caused this.

Ron Stadler
08-08-2012, 10:58 PM
That's a good idea too Russel, I will try that also.

Rick Markham
08-09-2012, 3:10 AM
Ron, if you are getting residual compound when buffing (stuck to the finish or in the finish) then you are using too much compound and WAY too much pressure. Tripoli and white diamond, a little goes a LONG way! You barely need any, and if your buffing wheel has too much then you need to run it out on board until you are sure there isn't excess. Keep the RPM's down and very little pressure, just put some music on and take your time. I keep it below 1000rpm's and just use a feather touch. If you rush you will melt the finish, or wear through it. Then you have to refinish and start all over again. :D Steve S. taught me these things, now buffing is a breeze!

Jack Mincey
08-09-2012, 6:34 AM
I finish most of my turkey calls with the spare urethane and buff them with no trouble. It won't dry on some oily exotic woods and I have to use lacquer on those. I buff them at around 1000 to 1200 rpms. I never use the wax just the two compounds finishing up with white diamond. If I ever do use wax on some of my bowls I use Renaissance wax. It is a big improvement over the caranuba wax.
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2012, 7:55 AM
Ron - you are probably thinking about the warnings of not using the white compound on open grain woods... like Walnut. It will leave traces of white in all the pores and is usually not the look folks are going for!

Ron Stadler
08-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks Jack and Rick, I'm not sure what my RPM's are on my buffer but is seems like it is faster than that, I do apply a soft touch though after getting parts ripped out of my hands before.

And your right Steve, open grained woods and white diamond is what I was trying to avoid also, thanks.