PDA

View Full Version : Who among us is this brave?

Cliff Newton
04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
:eek: This was during construction of the Chrysler Building in 1929. He looks like he's just sitting on a streetside curb. Makes me want to puke just looking at it.

Corey Hallagan
04-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Man... I get nervous just looking out my office window! Cool photo.

Corey

Martin Shupe
04-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Not me, I am afraid of heights!

John Strait
04-10-2005, 11:35 PM
I wonder what the guy that took the picture was sitting on.

Mark Singer
04-11-2005, 12:51 AM
I stay right where I was!

Mark Singer
04-11-2005, 12:54 AM
The Empire State Bulding was built in just one year! The Steel workers that walked the steel were mostly Native American and Native Canadians...There are many similar photos..

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=475 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume4/images/64.jpg</TD><TD>In the 1930s, Mohawks helped build the Empire State Building. In 1951 the fearless skywalkers from Canada added the 222-foot communications tower to the same building [National Geographic Society]

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=525 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume4/images/65.jpg

</TD><TD>Mohawks from the Caughnawaga Indian Reserve, south of Montreal, have assisted in erecting many buildings across North America. This view depicts two skywalkers on narrow beams high above Manhattan. They are part of a Mohawk crew that helped build the Rockefeller Center's French Building. In the background is New York's famous former RCA Building, now named the GE Building, which they also assisted in erecting [ Rockefeller Center,© Rockefeller Group, Inc. 1994]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jeff Sudmeier
04-11-2005, 8:37 AM
To answer the question, NO!! I don't like hieghts much either. I do a lot of roofing and am fine on two storey roofs, but get anything above that and NO thanks :)

Dan Gill
04-11-2005, 9:23 AM
I don't mind heights, but I do believe in safety ropes.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
As a teenager working on oil rigs, I left fingerprints in the steel of derricks until they figured out I was scared of heights. After breaking my back jumping a fence, staring paralization in the eye, I get extremely nervous when on my single story roofs. If the tall construction were left to me, everything would be subterranean (sp?).

Michael Perata
04-11-2005, 3:11 PM
My paternal grandfather was a steel man who worked on the Golden Gate and the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridges in the 30s.

I saw many photos of him and his crew walking steel 300'+ above the bay. Wish I could find those old snapshots now.

...and no, I wouldn't do that on a well financed dare.

Charlie Woods
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I am not the best with heights, but have had to be able to work at various heights in my field, especially when working with traveling theatre companies. One of my most freightening jaunts into the sky, happened when I worked for a theatrical rigging outfit that did alot of outdoor rigging/rough terrain rigging for outdoor theatres. Had a 60' center pole that was to be rigged with 3/8" cable for lightweight canopies. The only experienced pole climber broke his leg in a wreck, and since I was close to his size I got the job. A 1 hour couse in pole climbing, correct spike placement, safety, and stories of what could happen if I fell all made me very nervous. I climbed the pole, and rigged the shackles to the bolted in eyes, all the while the pole was swaying in the wind.:eek: Did it once and only once. These guys really don't get paid enough!!!!!

Jerry Clark
04-12-2005, 8:37 AM
This was before OSHA-- I guess!:p Not for me!

Russ Filtz
04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Looks like he's sitting on 2x12's or something, not steel. Hope there's "not" a bunch of knots right at the cantilever!

Dennis McDonaugh
04-13-2005, 4:48 PM
Looks like he's sitting on 2x12's or something, not steel. Hope there's "not" a bunch of knots right at the cantilever!

I wonder what's at the other end of the boards holding them down!

Rob Bourgeois
04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I worked as an electricians helper one summer for college money. We were working building a new unit at a oil refinery.

They put me about 25 to 30 feet up and told me to walk across this I-beam to get to the other end where a light neede to be wired. No place to tie off. I got up there and sat down and proceeded to inch my butt along the I-beam. The foreman yelled at me to stand up and walk. I told him something that I cant type here. He replied to get down and I would be working "in the ground". I thought I heard him wrong.

The afternoon they had me crawling under the sub floor in a control room pulling wires that were tied to my belt. I think I got the better of the 2 jobs. For the rest of the summer, I was never more than 5 foot off the ground, and I never left the AC of the control room. I pays to be a chicken I guess. :)

Some of the steel workers there with us would grab hold of the I-beams and basically walk up the vertical column to the first level. then keep doing that up to the level that they needed to work. Thats is something they did only when the safety guy wasnt around.

John Shuk
04-14-2005, 6:57 PM
I bet he was alot more afraid of starvation than heights. Amazing the good qualities that fear of poverty can bring out.

Dan Mages
04-14-2005, 7:06 PM
I recently went on a ride at the top of the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas. You are strapped into a chair and then spun around in a circle 900 feet above the Las Vegas Strip. It was one of the wildest things I have ever done.
http://www.insanityride.com/

Dan

Matt Meiser
04-14-2005, 7:13 PM
I recently went on a ride at the top of the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas. You are strapped into a chair and then spun around in a circle 900 feet above the Las Vegas Strip. It was one of the wildest things I have ever done.
http://www.insanityride.com/

Dan

The coaster at NY, NY was enough for me!

Ernie Nyvall
04-14-2005, 10:58 PM
I was an iron worker and connector for a while but only up to 500'. You can get careless after a while. After getting used to the beams, I can remember taking shortcuts on angle iron bracing. The odd thing was that when I was only 20 or so feet off the ground, I'd get nervous because of the distraction of the ground crews. The higher up the less distraction.

Ernie

Alan Turner
04-15-2005, 5:28 AM
In the summer of '71 while still in school I needed a summer job, and the only job available was on a bridge building crew. So, even though I am acrophobic, I took the job. Turned out I was not strong enugh for the heavy work, so got assigned the high work, and walked beams carrying a pair of 2 x 12's, 16", on a 12" beam, up 80 feet over a river. Then after the pours, got to go back under the bridge deck, hanging onto the K beams, and stripped out the whalers, stringing, and decking. Through the summer I did get used to heights, but shortly thereafter was again acrophobic, and am today. Funny what you do when you have no choice. Only accident was when my fellow "stripper" had has hand over the K beam, and the decking dropped before it was supposed to, and his wrist was crushed. Still think about him from time to time. I don't think there was an OSHA at the time, or at least an active one, or they would have shut the job down. What's a safety rope?