PDA

View Full Version : Questions re sharpening John Jordon and Bosch hollowing tool tips

Bob Groh
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
My son and I are taking a class (locally) in hollow form turning and both of us are buying some hollowing tools. We have just purchased a set of Kelton 1/2" hollowing tools but are still pondering our second set which will be either a set of John Jordon or Trent Bosch hollowing tools.

Both of these hollowing tools seem to use the same basic style of tip (not including the new carbide tips). We both have Wolverine sharpening (Vari-Grind 2) setups on a 8" slow speed grinder and it looks like we can modify a hunk of 1/2" rod to hold the tip to be sharpened, set the distance and leg angle for proper angle and sweep and let 'er rip. Any other words of wisdom on this?

It also seems that to sharpen the Trent Bosch tips, we need to pop them out of the holding rod by heating the tip with a torch. Then after we sharpen the tip, we drop it back in place and use CA to hold them in place. Seems like a bit of bummer if you need to do that too often (i.e. more than once per HF). But maybe hollowing tools don't wear as fast as regular gouges?

As you may have guessed, we are both new'bies at this turning game. All knowledge gratefully received!

Bob Groh, Blue Springs, Missouri, USA

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I like Trent and I am sure his tools are terrific. I like removing the cutting steel from the bar and using a jig to sharpen it. I use a combination of home built tools and John Jordon's tools. His straight bars use 3/16" square steel. I buy them from Enco in 2 1/2" lengths and cut them to the length I want. John's bent tools use the same cutter but John rounds the shank. I'm not crazy about that since making them without a grinding jig is a pain and buying them can cost more than I want to spend. John sells a sharpening jig that works for either bit.
faust

Scott Hackler
08-08-2012, 2:19 PM
I just ordered and received Trents 1/2 set and am not so thrilled that the tips are glued in. It is going to be a bit harder to sharpen the tip on the Wolverine platform ....but not impossible. I haven't used these tools but once so far. I really like the straight one, but the swan neck (and the super swan neck) were really grabby and will take some time to get used to. These are my first swan neck tools so I am sure its all about getting the proper touch.

Thom Sturgill
08-08-2012, 2:28 PM
I have a set of Ellison's hollowers ( actually two sets, both standard and small) and they have tips similar to the Trent Bosch hollowers. HSS ground round on the end that inserts into the bar. David teaches to grind them on a platform by gently rounding the edges of the grinding wheel and holding the tip at an angle and grinding one side to the tip on each side of the wheel. Removal is not required, but his bars are straight with the cutter either straight or angled. Since the platform is just used to steady your hand, it should still work with a crook-neck bar. I believe John Jordon's are similar while the Keltons have a thin layer of HSS (?) boded to the milder steel of the bar in a thin layer. For that reason you never want to touch the top to the grinder. The tips are not replaceable like in the others. I have a set of Kelton blades for my bowl saver and that is the way those knives are made, I believe the hollowers are the same.

Dennis Ford
08-08-2012, 4:03 PM
I use a Jordan hollowing tool and some home-made tools of similiar design (like them a lot). Being able to remove the cutter is an advantage but is not necessary as much as you might think. I often use a diamond hone to touch up the edge while the cutter is installed. I have also sharpened the cutters on a grinder freehand without removing the cutter (a very light touch is needed here).
Somewhat off topic but I recommend you consider an arm brace system to go with these tools (Sorby, Don Pencil etc)

Bob Groh
08-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the good information so far. On the arm brace, my son and I do have the Sorby handles and I think I will bust loose and pickup the side handles for them. Golly, it's only money!!!! I am, at this point, leaning toward the Jordon tools. Got to pick something so we are ready for our class. I'll stay in touch with this thread to see what else I can pickup.

Bob Rotche
08-09-2012, 7:28 AM
I have the Bosch tools and like them a lot. I have never yet removed the cutters. Agree with Dennis about free hand sharpening and occasional touch up with a diamond hone. I have no intention of removing the cutters until they need to be replaced.

Jamie Donaldson
08-09-2012, 2:48 PM
A set of Jordan full sized hollowing tools with a Sorby/Stewart armbrace handle will get you going very well. I still use mine frequently, finishing with a hooker/scraper combination, because I can sense the interior surfaces better than with most of my other hollowing toys/tools!:rolleyes:

Mark Levitski
08-09-2012, 3:21 PM
A set of Jordan full sized hollowing tools with a Sorby/Stewart armbrace handle will get you going very well. I still use mine frequently, finishing with a hooker/scraper combination, because I can sense the interior surfaces better than with most of my other hollowing toys/tools!:rolleyes:

Ditto, it's what I use too. I recommend the same.

Bob Groh
08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Yep, went ahead last night and ordered a set of the 1/2" Jordon hollowing tools (one straight and one hook). I'll make up a simple holder so we can sharpen the tips on our Wolverine jig/Woodcraft 8" grinder. We also ordered a set of 3 Kelton 1/2" tools. We'll switch off between the two sets to find who likes which the best. And try to not have a massive catch and embarrass ourselves too badly when we take the class in 2 weeks. Thanks again everyone - great resource here and, as Arnold said " I'll be back!"

robert baccus
08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Roger that- on Ford;s post.--pure experience speaking.