PDA

View Full Version : Best Miter Gauge?

CPeter James
04-10-2005, 9:35 PM
I need a miter gauge to replace the one that came with my PM66. I have a Dubby sled and that is OK but I would like something that fits down onto the table like a regular miter gauge. I have looked at several including some from Incra, Jess-em and Kreg. What is the best one and also what is the best value. Are there any on line reviews?

Thanks, CPeter

Jim O'Dell
04-10-2005, 9:54 PM
Hi!

I don't think I would call this a miter guage, since it is actually a sled in itself, but every time I use my Jointech miter, it amazes me how well it works, and I come away from each experience with renewed satisfaction in buying it. BUT,... it depends on what you are trying to do. It does have limitations. Best with trim and mouldings, picture frames, etc. I haven't had any luck with large pieces of wood...the table is just not big enough. Now if I had an infeed table and could line up the miter slot perfectly, it would do the larger stuff just fine.
What are your needs? With that info, I bet you will get a miriad of possibilities! Jim

CPeter James
04-10-2005, 9:58 PM
My old saw had an Exactor sliding table (which I still have, but have not mounted on my new saw) and I would like to find a miter gauge to do very accurate cross cuts and miter cuts like my sliding table would do.

CPeter

Kyle Rosenberger
04-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I like the Incra 3000 miter gauge. I has a positive stop at every 1/2 degree. Long fences & cutoff stops are also available.

Mark Singer
04-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I have the Fastrack

Tom Hintz
04-11-2005, 3:04 AM
CPeter,
I have reviews of a few miter gauges at the link below, scroll down to Miter Gauges.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html

I have been using the INCRA 1000SE for a while now and have come to like it a lot. It's very accurate, repeats every time and is easy to hit the angles I want. I guess I can't ask for more than that!

Gary Herrmann
04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I've got the Woodhaven Deluxe. Very accurate and not fussy to use. Been very happy with it.

Larry D. Wagner
04-11-2005, 1:23 PM
:) I have an INCRA 1000SE and find it very accurate. I looked at several and while all were ok to very nice, the 1000SE was the best unit for me. I have an INCRA Jig Super System also. I have found the INCRA products to be very well designed and made and overall very user friendly.

Larry :) :) :)

Scott Larson
04-11-2005, 1:25 PM
I was looking seriously at the Jessem and had the opportunity to play with it both at woodcraft (Jessem model in red) and Rockler (jessem in blue for rockler). Unfortunately, they both had the same problem, which was noticeable slop in the miter head even when the alignment pins in place. I have read in other forums that some other people had noticed the same thing. I sent off some e-mail to Jessem in hopes of finding a fix but then never responded. I suspect that they have some tooling issues that may need to be addressed much like Kreg did after they introduced their version of the fast-track (per the review by Bill Esposito). However, I find their quiet attitude towards questions/potential problems a little discomforting.

-Scott

Jay Knepper
04-11-2005, 10:37 PM
I've been very pleased with the Incra 1000SE. The locking system for angles is pretty much foolproof. The only rap that I've seen on this fence is the vertical alignment with the table. The fence can easily be shimmed to vertical if this is a problem.

My only complaint is the flip stop lateral adjustment. I don't much like the detent system for adjusting the distance from the blade. It seems that I can never nudge it just one detent. But the adjustible sliding bar on the stop makes up for this. Otherwise the flip stop is great, particularly its ability prevent mitered ends from creeping behind the stop.

CPeter James
04-12-2005, 8:24 AM
Looks Like the incra 1000SE is the one to buy. Now
To find a good price. Street price is $150, but they are on EBAY for a lot less. Maybe I'll take a chance.

CPeter

Chris Rosenberger
04-12-2005, 9:50 AM
Check Amazon. I saw a Incra 1000/18T on there for $109.00.

Tim Morton
04-12-2005, 9:57 AM
Looks Like the incra 1000SE is the one to buy. Now
To find a good price. Street price is $150, but they are on EBAY for a lot less. Maybe I'll take a chance.

I picked mine up on ebay and am very happy with it. NIB and it was $112 shipped. The one on amazon for $109 is NOT the SE version. You give up 3 things...extending fence, stop blocks and the ability to break down the 1 degree clicks into 1/10th of a degree. FWIW.