PDA

View Full Version : My Makita Router has a Wobble

Danny Hamsley
08-08-2012, 7:40 AM
I have a 3 1/4 HP Makita Model 3612 router mounted in my router table. I notice that when I turn it on and look at the spinning bit, there is the slightest wobble. Even though it is barely perceptible, I am getting very small scallops on the piece, so small that you cannot hardly see them unless you apply finish, then you can surely see them :(. On soft wood like cherry, it is not too much of a problem to sand the marks out, but on hard wood like white oak and pecan, it is a real chore. When I turn the router off and try and move the bit and collet shaft by hand, there is the very slightest slop.

I have run some big tongue and groove bits, door making bits, and raised panel bits in it, but I have always used a speed control to lower the RPM's on the biggest bits. So, it has had more than light use. Has anyone had this problem and is it repairable? It was about a $275 router.

Myk Rian
08-08-2012, 7:44 AM
Sounds like a bearing.
Can you wiggle the chuck, when it's off?

Danny Hamsley
08-08-2012, 8:19 AM
Yes, you can wiggle it just the least little bit. I, too, think that it is a bearing, but I am not sure if I can repair it or not. I am more wood inclined than mechanically inclined. Plus, it might cost more than it is worth to send to to a Repair Center. I was hoping that some Creekers would have some experience to guide me.

Jim Andrew
08-08-2012, 8:32 AM
Call the repair center and get an estimate.

pat warner
08-08-2012, 10:20 AM
" Has anyone had this problem ?"
It is ordinary.
There are many reasons for a cutter to spin in a lousy circle.
In my view, with your big cutter history, that router is shot.
Notwithstanding, nearly all routers will spin some cutters out of round.
I've seen it with new cutters, collets and and routers.
So the bottomline: They (routers) do this, all of them to some degree.
Routers are toys compared to shapers; it's a miracle they run as well as they do.
Shapers can stand the stress of big cutters doing doors, drawers and windows; routers can't.
So what to do? Take up sanding.
Routers are finish tools alright but they all leave chatter that should be sanded out.

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-08-2012, 10:26 AM
My Makita 3612 has always had issues with large bits. I have some long 1/2" bits that I can't run in it. Luckily, I have other routers that don't have this problem. I still use my 3612, I just don't put long or large diameter bits in it.

Danny Hamsley
08-08-2012, 9:07 PM
Thanks guys! It may be time for a shaper.

Jim Andrew
08-09-2012, 6:37 PM
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but do you clean out your collet when changing blades? Have found a little sawdust can really mess things up with a router bit.

Leo Graywacz
08-09-2012, 7:16 PM
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but do you clean out your collet when changing blades? Have found a little sawdust can really mess things up with a router bit.

I was going to say replace the collet before trying to replace/repair the router.

But if you can see movement when you push it around that is waaaay to much movement.

Danny Hamsley
08-09-2012, 9:38 PM
Yes, I think that it is wore out. I have another one just like it, so I will replace it. The first time that I took the router out of the router table to do some hand routing, it was such a pain that it was the last time that I took the router out of the router table! So, I went and bought another one.

Leo Graywacz
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm the opposite. I'd rather hand route when possible. On occasion you need the fence so you have to table it.

Gary Kman
08-11-2012, 8:45 AM
Accurate dial indicators are really cheap. One could chuck up a piece of round stock (1/2"drill shank) and see if there is any slack or eccentric, turn the collet and repeat to see if the collet is concentric with the shaft. Install a suspect bearing pilot cutter and see if it is running true. Tool has many uses around a ww shop. Did I say unplug the tool first?