PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM20 Bandsaw Setup

Jezz Santos
08-08-2012, 1:47 AM
I’ve just unpacked my new MM20, it’s been in a shipping container for some time.
I am not experienced with bandsaw setups, and I am confused about how to set this one up given the parts I have.
The manual is not terrifically prescriptive enough to help the problem I am experiencing.

The saw comes with what I now know are called EURO top and bottom guides. And it also comes with a comprehensive telescopic wrap-around blade guide up top – which looks great for safety.
I have followed the steps in fitting a new ½” blade. As the manual instructs, the teeth just overlap the front of the top wheel. I have applied the necessary tension and set the tracking correctly.

Now it’s time to place the top and bottom guides.
Starting with the top guide, I have adjusted the heavy top guide mechanism so that the blade is centered between the two blade guides – leaving a gap for now.
Then I have tried to bring the thrust bearing forward to meet the back of the blade (which will eventually have 1/64” spacing). But the thrust bearing hits the steel telescopic blade guard about ¾” before it gets anywhere near the back of the blade!
There does not seem to be a position of the guide mechanism that can avoid the thrust bearing hitting the blade guard!
It appears that in order to set up this saw with the provided guide mechanism I will need to manually cut the steel of the telescopic blade guide about 1” to allow me to bring the thrust bearing forward to the back of the blade, for any blade less than 1” thick. Seems like a design fault.

I see no help in the manual or online about this problem, nor others having the same problem.
Am I doing something wrong, can someone guide me please?
Photos attached.

Any guidance appreciated

James Conrad
08-08-2012, 9:00 AM
I just picked up a used MM20 and will be going through the same efforts later today, so I this may not super helpful. The manual is a little confusing, but in the tracking section it states to run blades 1/2" and smaller towards the center of the wheel, contrary to what it states in the other section. That should gain you a little bit of space. My guard and guide assembly is a little different than yours and does not hang down to interfere with the guide assembly.

Erik Loza
08-08-2012, 9:33 AM
Hi Jezz,

Do you still have the same email address as before, the Microsoft one? If so, I'll reply to you on that. If not, please email at eloza-at-scmgroup-dot-com. A blade that width, I would track a lot farther back on the wheel. That will solve all the bearing alignment issues. I'll describe in more depth via email.

Glad to see you are finally getting her set up!

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

James Heisbert
08-08-2012, 9:41 AM
The blade should place at the center of the top wheel. Re-adjust the tracking and the tension to fix the blades position. This video will be helpful for a better saw setup - ToolGuideArticle.aspx-id=34055 (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=34055).

Erik Loza
08-08-2012, 9:52 AM
The blade should place at the center of the top wheel. Re-adjust the tracking and the tension to fix the blades position. This video will be helpful for a better saw setup - ToolGuideArticle.aspx-id=34055 (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=34055).

James, just to clarify, that video only applies to bandsaws with crowned tires. Minimax (and all other Italian bandsaws, in fact...) actually use flat tires, so any blade can be tracked anywhere on the surface of the wheel. In other words, tracking the blade as the photos in the original post show is not necessarily incorrect, per se. At least not with our saws. A crowned-tire bandsaw, of course, is a whole different animal.

Thanks,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Stephen Cherry
08-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Here's an aftermarket manual. It looks like the guard on your saw is a little different though, maybe a euro safety thing.

http://www.woodwrecker.com/woodworking/manuals/MiniMax16M.pdf

James Heisbert
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the clarification Erik. I thoughtlessly posted the video without comparing the type of saw or tire used.

Jezz Santos
08-08-2012, 6:09 PM
That did it - moving the 1/2" blade to the middle of the top wheel with tracking.
This is contrary to what the manual says, at least in the first step of setup. It corrects itself later on. I hadn't gotten that far yet! :)

Thanks for all your attentative help, great to see such good support, I am very impressed.

Jim Matthews
08-09-2012, 7:06 AM
Great saw.

One thing I would suggest to do differently than the manual is storing the mobility bar on the floor.
The recommended storage position is precarious, and unstable.

James Heisbert
08-09-2012, 10:05 AM
That did it - moving the 1/2" blade to the middle of the top wheel with tracking.
This is contrary to what the manual says, at least in the first step of setup. It corrects itself later on. I hadn't gotten that far yet! :)

Thanks for all your attentative help, great to see such good support, I am very impressed.

Well, this will make us wait for some updates.

William Addison
08-09-2012, 5:57 PM
You will likely need to notch the guard. I used 41/2 inch cutting wheel and it only takes a few minutes. It's a known problem and one MM doesn't seem to be interested in correcting along with the excuse for a manual that doesn't even have an elecical schematic which is critical in my opinion. The downloadable manual is a little better.
When you get it sorted out I think you'll like the saw.

Mike Heidrick
08-09-2012, 6:06 PM
I trimmed my MM20 guard for the Laguna ceramic guides. Pics of how I did it are on the install site for the guides.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~unix888/lagunaceramicguideinstallonminimaxmm20replacingthe originalbearingguides/

James Heisbert
08-10-2012, 10:30 AM
You will likely need to notch the guard. I used 41/2 inch cutting wheel and it only takes a few minutes. It's a known problem and one MM doesn't seem to be interested in correcting along with the excuse for a manual that doesn't even have an elecical schematic which is critical in my opinion. The downloadable manual is a little better.
When you get it sorted out I think you'll like the saw.

What do you think is Minimax doing with their product?

William Spier
09-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Which Laguna ceramic kit did you order for the MM20? I need to get one, but I don't know which one's the right one. I assume Laguna Guide Set to Retro-Fit Euro-Guides; Model Number: AB000041? Thanks.

Mike Heidrick
09-21-2014, 12:02 AM
Pretty sure that is what I ordered but call Laguna next week and ask. Good luck. Mine are still working great.