PDA

View Full Version : Translucent Acrylic

Jeff Belany
08-07-2012, 1:10 PM
I have a customer who wants a moon cut out of a opalescent or translucent acrylic. It would have the craters engraved in it and she would like these to show when the piece is backlit. Any suggestions on materials or techniques to achieve this effect? I thought maybe a light colorfill on the back (maybe gray) might help the craters show better.

Curious if anyone has tried anything like this and how well it worked. Any suggestions welcome.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Martin Boekers
08-07-2012, 2:22 PM
Do a search under Lithophane, this is a pretty cool process, most I have seen have been cut with a CNC,
but I believe some here have had some success with it.

Rodne Gold
08-07-2012, 2:43 PM
Just engrave 3mm (1/8th) opaque opal quite deeply (you get opal in various opacities, try start out with the most opaque) , the engraving will show lighter when backlit so do it the way you want , IE engrave the moon and leave the craters - moon will light up..

dave cox
08-07-2012, 5:55 PM
Your choice of color will be the most difficult. Engrave the moon and leave the the craters will look good especially if leds are used.

Bill Cunningham
08-07-2012, 8:41 PM
Did this one several years ago from reverse engraved black Romark, and cut to fit half window