PDA

View Full Version : BLO...How Long to Wait?

joseph j shields
04-10-2005, 8:23 PM
I'm finishing a small wine cabinet and need some advice. The piece is quarter sawn maple with sepele door inserts. Both woods have really nice grain & figure, but my standard wipe-on finish I use (1/3 blo, 1/3 mineral spirits & 1/3 poly), didn't really "POP" the figure in the wood, plus the maple got too dark & yellow and reduced the contrast between the maple & sapele.

I'm thinking about putting down a light coat of boiled linseed oil.... followed by a few coats of shellac.

A couple of questions...

#1. Should I dilute the blo with mineral spirits??? If yes what ratio?

#2. How long should I wait before putting on the shellac??

#3. Any other tips???

I'm under a time crunch, so I can't wait too long :(

Thanks for your help!

-jj

Bill Arnold
04-10-2005, 8:51 PM
JJ,

For most of my projects, I use a similar finishing system; although I usually use a 2/2/1 ratio of BLO/Naphtha/Poly for the first couple of coats. Naphtha flashes off quicker than MS. When I've topcoated the initial coats with poly, I wait at least a week, if not two, for the BLO to cure. I honestly do not know if you can topcoat quicker with shellac, but my assumption is the BLO still has to have time to cure regardless of the topcoat.

Regards,

Jerry Olexa
04-10-2005, 9:14 PM
IMHO, use straight BLO, Wait approx 1 week for BLO to thoroughly dry (when you can no longer smell it) before applying shellac. G'Luck...

Doug Shepard
04-10-2005, 9:31 PM
You might want to substitute Tung oil instead of the BLO on some scraps to compare them. I suspect what darkened your maple up was the BLO and probably not the poly. Tung would probably lessen that effect. Most of the time BLO doesn't have a big darkening effect on maple, but I have had the odd board or two go that way - to the point that they almost looked like cherry.