PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Table

Tom Scott
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
So as our family is getting older it seems to be growing, and my wife has been pushing to get a new outdoor dining set. After looking at prices of what she wanted I said that would be happy to make whatever she wants. So, this is her design from a picture she found. She then asked about type of wood and I said that I would check on cypress as the other traditional exterior woods may prove to be cost-prohibitive. I have never had much luck with Craig's List in my area, but checked anyway and found a listing from two days prior with a stack of some old cypress for $35. After talking to the guy on the phone, he explained that it had come from an old house in Louisiana and was in really bad shape. Long story a little shorter, he said I could have it for free if I would come pick up. Now this stuff was GNARLY. I wish I had taken pictures of it as I received it, but here is a little sampling of the extreme weathering.
Two days of planing and cleaning up showed some wonderful tight-grained, old- growth cypress with "character".
After finishing the table I had enough to get a bench also, so without ado...

Jim Rimmer
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Great looking table. I have made some small projects out of Cypress. Nice looking wood.