PDA

View Full Version : Under Counter Lighting

Martin Boekers
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
As you can see I need some light! :) Exploring ideas, I've tossed around CFL and LED's
looking for an economical solution (around $100) any ideas? I'd rather buy something
pre-made for this as opposed to making something. I'm am leaning toward the CFL or LED
because of heat.

Thanks!

Rodne Gold
08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Or local hardware store as well as lighting shops carry small undercounter stick-on/screw on strips , they can be ganged , ie they come with a lead that plugs one to another so you can make strings or put them where you want , all invidually switched too. I did my kitchen with em..
These things - they cheap...and work

Chuck Stone
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Yep.. I've used those fluorescents before.. very inexpensive. I think they were
called Bright Stick at the time (years ago) and I think they were in the $5 range
for an 18" light. You'd need more, though.
i seem to remember Home Despot having strings of LED's for around $16-18?
They were in a flexible plastic tube, comes all rolled up. ANd they shouldn't use
much of anything for power.

Wow .. found some 25" versions.. but the prices are all over the place!
http://www.truevalue.com/product/33-Watt-25-Inch-Bright-Stick-Fluorescent-Lighting-Fixture/7453.uts
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/GEL12257/12Q1/

GE may have discontinued them, but I'm sure there are others out there

Martin Boekers
08-07-2012, 2:26 PM
Thanks Rodne do you have a brand name or model number?

Chuck you are right about pricing being all over the place!
LED strips especially. I havent thought about Office Depot
and such. This weekend I'll hit the stores and see what they have.

Thanks!

Mark Sipes
08-07-2012, 7:26 PM
If it were Christmas you could get a set of leds on a rope.

Uros Sovilj
08-08-2012, 6:10 AM
Hi

Led strips are not so expencive anymore. You can get 5m water resistant long strip with transformer for less than 40$ on ebay. Its easy to mount( it has tape on back side ) and doesnt produce much heat plus you can chose color you like.

Michael Hunter
08-08-2012, 8:55 AM
Ikea have LED strips really cheap.

The small flourescent lamps that Rodney suggested are often used under kitchen wall cabinets - the DIY barns in the UK all have lots.
(I have one of these inside my Epilog to make focussing easier).

Martin Boekers
08-08-2012, 9:59 AM
The rope lights really aren't bright enough as most Christmas lights, I have tried those in the past.

It's amazing that LED pricing is still all over the board, you think it would have stabalized. Definitely
will check out IKEA. Also tossing around Flouresent type LED Tubes.

Thanks all for your input!

Marty

Steven Cox
08-10-2012, 6:10 AM
Looking at the cabinet I would suggest 3528 LED Strip in Pure White with 60 LEDs per meter. The thing to take into account is that the light given is directional at about 120 degrees, so best placement would be on the undeside of the top in the middle running left to right. This will then light up the cabinet front to back with an even light, if you put it to the front then half of it's going to light up outside the cabinet. Another tip is to use the waterproof LED, for me it appears to be better and easier to work with.

PM me and I'll give you a link to where you can buy it from on Ebay, I've tried many but found and only use the best!..... and it's cheap too!.

Hope this helps, Regards Steve.

Rodne Gold
08-10-2012, 6:19 AM
Is this a display cabinet?..if not go the real cheap and lo tech route of a light bulb socket and a compact flourescent (no heat)

Fred Belknap
08-10-2012, 7:58 AM
A lot of good info. One thing you might consider is the LED lights don't attract insects as bad as others. I have them under my upper kitchen cabinets and they stay on 24-7. Got mine form e-bay.