PDA

View Full Version : Tall timbers day trip photos(lots of pics)

Aaron Kline
04-10-2005, 8:20 PM
We took a day trip up to tall timbers in Snyder County, PA today. It is one of the last virgin timber tracts. 3-4ft diam. 100ft+ tall hemlocks!:eek: And there's some small birch mixed in. These will take some time to load, but trust me, its worth it.

Heres the Sawmill Creek forum rep. for Eastern PA

Aaron Kline
04-10-2005, 8:27 PM
Here are some more pics, some of the end of logs that fell. Imagine the quartersawn stock:)

Aaron Kline
04-10-2005, 8:32 PM
More pics yet. This is the last set. There is a beautiful small stream that runs through the timbers. The forum rep. went swimming to cool off. The one birch in the photo is about 14-18" in diam. The picture is somewhat misleading. Hope you enjoyed.

Carl Eyman
04-10-2005, 8:32 PM
Beautiful! Looks like my back yard in Wisconsin ued to - only much grander scale, of course . Great trip to take. Do they ever harvest fallen trees?

Aaron Kline
04-10-2005, 8:36 PM
Carl,
I don't think they can do anything with the fallen trees because of the crazy regulations on virgin timber. They could raise some good money though if they sold off a few of those things. One tree alone scales at nearly 10000 board feet.
At the going price for hemlock, they could get a whole $2500 for each tree thats down. Then they could chip the limbs and spread it on the floor to promote more growth.

Jim Becker
04-10-2005, 9:55 PM
Pretty awesome way to spend the day, Aaron! Looks like the "rep" enjoyed it, too...

Jerry Olexa
04-11-2005, 5:34 PM
Thanks for posting those Great pics. Looks like the rep enjoyed the day also!:)

Bill Lewis
04-12-2005, 12:11 PM
... These will take some time to load, but trust me, its worth it.

All I could think was: Sure they'd take some time to load, made easier with a big truck, and some big equipment.

Then I realized you meant "the pictures":D

Aaron Kline
04-12-2005, 4:54 PM
Bill,
If you have a forwarder, and a CAT Harvester, meet me tommorow morning in Snyder County:D Wear camo and paint the trucks green, they'll never know what happened to those hemlocks.