PDA

View Full Version : Another scrap project, a vase.

Bill Huber
08-06-2012, 3:37 PM
I am posting this for us hobbyist, that don't have a big project going on all the time and save all the scrap they can. There is so much you can do with that scrap if you just let your mind wonder a little and think outside the box.

This is all walnut scrap with some hard maple trim. It is 8 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" across the points. For me little projects like this help me work with angles, sanding, glue ups and finishing. If it fails I have not really lost anything, the wood was all out of the scrap bucket.

So don't pitch those little scrap boards and just come up with something to do with them.

scott vroom
08-06-2012, 4:29 PM
Bill, that's an awesome project....nice work!

Jay Jolliffe
08-06-2012, 5:24 PM
It looks great Bill....I'm a hoarder of scraps also....When I'm sick of looking at them or start running out of space I burn them in the wood stove.

Bill Huber
08-06-2012, 8:53 PM
Thanks guys, the main point is that scrap can be used for more then just jig parts and things like that.

When I pay $8 plus a board foot I want to get everything I can out of each bf.

Darrin Davis
08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
How did you make the base?

Bill Huber
08-07-2012, 8:29 AM
How did you make the base?

I just cut the hexagon out of some 3/4" walnut and then screwed it to a board and set the table saw at 45 and cut each side at 45°. I used a larger board to screw it to so I could hold it against the fence, make a cut unscrew it turn it screw it back and so on, just to small to hold.

Victor Robinson
08-07-2012, 9:36 AM
Great little vase! I have plenty of scraps, but not the brain to think of cool little projects like this one...so they just pile up. :)

Bill Huber
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Great little vase! I have plenty of scraps, but not the brain to think of cool little projects like this one...so they just pile up. :)

Well it really doesn't take a lot of brain power to do it or I would be in real trouble.

I don't know if you have seen my post on banks, another good use of that small scrap. Just look around and see what is there, printer stands, banks, napkin holder, vase, junk trays for the pocket stuff, bookends, there are a lot of things that take very little wood but you can learn a lot by making them. You can always glue up small board to make larger ones.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185563-Yet-another-scrap-bank-You-can-learn-form-those-little-projects&highlight=Bank

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183924-Something-else-to-do-with-those-little-scraps&highlight=Bank