PDA

View Full Version : Looking for plans of this table

Scott Engle
08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I saw this piece on a furniture website and really liked its lines. Does anyone know of a site offering this plan, either fee or free?

Thanks for any info you can provide,
Scott

Myk Rian
08-06-2012, 4:25 PM
Seems I saw it in a magazine. Not sure which one.
Shouldn't be to hard to just wing it, and put one together.

Cody Colston
08-06-2012, 5:32 PM
Shouldn't be to hard to just wing it, and put one together.

I agree. It looks to be a pretty simple design. If you can master M&T joinery, you've got it made.

Determine the overall dimensions to fit your space/furniture and go from there. Plenty of people here would be more than willing to help you with any questions or techniques.

I'll even offer a couple of suggestions right off to improve the project. Use rift-sawn stock for the legs. That way, you get straight grain lines on all four sides for strength and a more uniform appearance. The tabletop and wings could be enhanced with the use of a rule joint vs that butt joint shown.

Roger Feeley
08-06-2012, 5:38 PM
Wood Magazine sells plans for a bunch of different Mission style furniture pieces. One is for a coffee table that should be adaptable.

Clifford Betterley
08-06-2012, 6:14 PM
If you use Google SketchUp, there are many users that post their designs for free in the 3D Warehouse section of SketchUp.

John Piwaron
08-07-2012, 9:42 AM
If you use Google SketchUp, there are many users that post their designs for free in the 3D Warehouse section of SketchUp.

Gosh, I'd post my stuff there if any of it actually got committed to a formal drawing. I design things all day for my employer, so I find making a formal drawing the hardest part of a woodworking project. Nowadays all my projects are a result of "wing it" - at the end there's a pile of sketches that in aggregate mostly record the design. Sort of. :)

Bill Huber
08-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree, it is an easy one to wing it on, just a few things to draw out so you know the length of things and go for it. You can use dowels, you don't have to use M&T they work very well for that style.

Here is a little book case I made and it is all dowels. The plans were on one sheet of paper and that was about it.

Scott Engle
08-09-2012, 9:30 AM
Bill:

That's a very clean looking design. Nice work!

Scott

Prashun Patel
08-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Scott, I made something similar to this. I agree with the others that it's pretty straight forward. However, I appreciate your desire for plans - especially if you haven't made something like this before. There's a lot of things people quickly take for granted. It's not so much the dimensions, but the way it's all put together. I'll share some 'tricks' on this:

1) If you can use a doweling jig (Dowl-it, Dowelmax, Jessem) or loose tenon joinery system (like Domino or Mortisepal - which is what i used (thanks Bill Huber)), you can greatly simplify the construction, and it'll still be plenty strong.

2) I would assemble the sides first, then connect them with the stretchers and lower shelf. That will require some long clamps. By fixing the ends of that lower shelf into the rails of the sides, you are essentially constraining movement there, which is a no-no for larger panels. I made a slot in the middle of my lower shelf as a safety.

3) If you are relatively new, then you might consider using pocket screws. That will eliminate the need for a lot of clamps, and will make something pretty strong and functional - if not perfectly traditional.

4) To avoid having to make the mortises in the rails to accomodate the 3/8" vertical slats on the sides, I cut a 3/8" dado in the upper and lower rails and then made 3/8" spacers to fill the space between the slats. Once finished, you can't even see the seams.

5) Attach the top to the base in a way that allows for the top to seasonally expand/contract in its width. You can use pocket screws, clips, or figure 8 fasteners. There are other ways.