PDA

View Full Version : I need one piece of Dutch Lap siding 8' long

Rich Engelhardt
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
to replace one damaged piece on a 55 year old garage.
Despite the fact that there are thousands of garages in the city made using Dutch Lap siding,,,,no one carries it any more ...

I'm sort of stuck on this one.
It looks like I'm going to have to make it myself.

Any suggestions on cutting the cove part are more than welcome.

I found this picture of what the siding itself looks like:
http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/dutch-lap-siding.htm

Since the damaged piece is on the bottom, I have a lot of "fudge factor" I can work/live with.
The cove part is a 1 1/8 radius if I'm reading that right.
Is that doable making a cove cut on the table saw?

Carl Beckett
08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Table saw was my first reaction. I think there are calculators out there that will tell you the angle needed to get a certain profile.

Another option would be multiple passes on a router cove bit (or rounded bit) until you got the profile where you wanted it - it doesnt seem like it has to be 'exact' to blend in with your other siding. Just take a pass, adjust, take another, adjust, and nibble it down to the profile (and then scrape or sand if you want)

Jamie Buxton
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
That cove looks a lot like a raised-panel profile. For instance http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/raised_panel_router_bits1.html#rpcove_anchor
Or in the vertical version http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/raised_panel_router_bits2.html
Or if you have a shaper, there are cutters for the same profile.

TODD RAYMER
08-06-2012, 4:18 PM
The retail lumber yard I work at can still get it . It is now called drop siding.See if any of the places you have tried call it that. Good luck.

Larry Edgerton
08-06-2012, 5:28 PM
Rich

I have a bunch of dutch lap in the attic of my shop. If it would work out I can ship a piece to you N/C.

Larry

Rich Engelhardt
08-06-2012, 5:51 PM
Larry,
Thanks! That's super generous of you. I'll try to find some at one of the local yards around here first now that I've read Todd's post and know what to ask for/look for.
If I'm still in a bind I'll PM you.

Larry Edgerton
08-06-2012, 5:59 PM
Rich

Not sure how far you are from Ann Arbor, Mi but I looked it up and Fingerle Lumber has it listed as pattern 106/116 @$4.70 for an eight foot stick.

Larry

Peter Kelly
08-06-2012, 6:55 PM
The retail lumber yard I work at can still get it . It is now called drop siding.See if any of the places you have tried call it that. Good luck.Also known as "Novelty Siding" in some places.

Rich Engelhardt
08-07-2012, 6:27 AM
Ann Arbor is a good three hour drive.
Too far for one piece & the timing is bad.
A month ago or in another month, I could probably have made/make the trip & swung/swing by Greektown while I was there :D.

Rich Engelhardt
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Update - thanks all - I managed to find a 12' piece @ Terry Lumber in Pennisula Ohio, just a few miles from me for about $7.
They still get a lot of calls for the stuff due to the sheer number of houses/garages in the area that use it.

Matt Meiser
08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
I know you found it already, but I wonder if its the kind of thing Keim would also carry.

Jerome Stanek
08-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Lodi lumber might be able to make it also.

Rich Engelhardt
08-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Matt,
I'm not real sure if they would or not. I guess it would depend on the demand for it. Terry Lumber said they are one of the last places in the area that carries it & they get a lot of business from Shaker Hts. for it. Shaker is a fair distance away.
There's thousands and thousands of single car detached garages in the Stow/Cuyahoga Falls area that were built in the post WWII housing boom.
All of them are sided with this type of siding.
(LOL! 99% of them a leaning over and all racked out of shape too. An enterprising person could make a fortune going around and "straightening" garages for $300.00 a pop....something I really strongly considered doing..heck, I still might! Butt hat's a whole different topic...)

Terry Lumber only stocks 12' and 14' lengths & they buy it from somewhere else.
They only had at best, two dozen pieces in stock when I was there.
I got the impression they stocked it in small quantites only as a necessity.
The sales guy said they only usually sell it one or two boards at a time for repair work.

Matt Meiser
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
I know they do carry a lot of millwork so its something to keep in mind for the future. They have free delivery up to 150 miles I just learned. And I'm literally 3 miles outside that!

Will Rowland
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
FWIW, in Houston you can buy it at Home Depot, and most lumber yards here carry it in two different widths.