PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Stanley #2

Alan Peck
08-06-2012, 1:04 AM
Kind of excited about this tool that was given to me by my wife's grandfather. It's incomplete, fairly rough, and the length has me confused as to which type this falls under.
The good news is I never thought I'd get my hands on a #2 and the price was right.

Pricing a replacement lever cap and front tote has been interesting but the main thing that I question is that at basically 8" long (7 7/8") it appears to be the "long version" but I can't find any info about the this mythical plane.

Would appreciate any info you can give me if you can. I don't plan on selling this so in the meantime I'll patiently wait for a lever cap/tote to come up on ebay or other sources.

Rodney Walker
08-06-2012, 1:20 AM
I may be wrong, but the lateral adjust lever and the hole on top of the slot on the iron don't look Stanley to me. I can't quite read the stamp on the iron but I'm thinking possibly UNION MFG CO. Either way it's still a nice plane and worth getting back into operating condition. It may be even more unusual if it is a Union.
Rodney

Sean Richards
08-06-2012, 1:34 AM
I may be wrong, but the lateral adjust lever and the hole on top of the slot on the iron don't look Stanley to me. I can't quite read the stamp on the iron but I'm thinking possibly UNION MFG CO. Either way it's still a nice plane and worth getting back into operating condition. It may be even more unusual if it is a Union.
Rodney

+1 looks very much like a Union made plane

Alan Peck
08-06-2012, 1:35 AM
Thanks Rodney.
Geez, I didn't even consider it could be a different make. The other #2's grandpa has are clearly marked Stanley or Bedrock.
Back to the researching...

Alan Peck
08-06-2012, 2:33 AM
Been looking and I think you guys are correct. All the things you mentioned plus that thick blade iron and no real connection to any Stanley types. This will make replacing the tote and lever cap so much easier. My 8 year old daughter has an interest and I now have the perfect plane for her.

Thanks again.

Sam Takeuchi
08-06-2012, 4:06 AM
I have a feeling that's an Ohio, with thick tapered blade and all.

Sean Richards
08-06-2012, 5:47 AM
Have a look at Walt Q's page on Union planes

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm)

Might help you confirm what it is ...

Rodney Walker
08-06-2012, 12:10 PM
You're starting your daughter off with a #2? Lucky girl.
Rodney

ken seale
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
There is a guy on ebay who sells low style knobs for the #2.

User name is nicobie

Alan Peck
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
That's a great link Sean.

Have a look at Walt Q's page on Union planes

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm (http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm)

Might help you confirm what it is ...

Jim Koepke
08-06-2012, 1:07 PM
It does look like the stamp on the blade is from Union Mfg. Co.

The lateral lever looks a little different. Can you post a shot of the frog & lateral lever from the top side of the frog?

You might want to get a thread gauge to check the threads for the front knob. Should be the same as the back tote bolt threads. They may not be the same as Stanley threads.

I am not sure, but I think the early Union planes had a right hand thread on the depth adjuster. This one looks to be a left hand thread.

jtk

Larry McGarrah
08-06-2012, 7:52 PM
Would a front tote and a lever cap of an early Union No 4 fit this No 2? I have a No 4 I bought for parts. The plane was broken but the totes and complete frog assy. are in good condition.

Jim Koepke
08-06-2012, 7:56 PM
Would a front tote and a lever cap of an early Union No 4 fit this No 2? I have a No 4 I bought for parts. The plane was broken but the totes and complete frog assy. are in good condition.

The #2 blade is only 1-5/8" as I recall. Some folks grind down a #3 lever cap to fit.

The knob would look big, but might work.

jtk

Larry McGarrah
08-06-2012, 8:05 PM
The blade on my 4 is 2 inches wide. I have these parts for an early No 4 if anyone needs them.
238572 238573

Mark Wyatt
08-06-2012, 9:22 PM
Here are a side by side comparison of an early Union and Stanley #2. The Union is on the right and the Stanley is on the left. The biggest and most visible difference between these two is the heel although there are other differences as well. Based on this, I think yours is likely a Union. The lever caps are pretty much interchangeable.

Alan Peck
08-11-2012, 1:29 PM
Great comparison Mark, thanks. I really do agree with you and everyone that I have a Union. All hail the collective knowledge. Thanks again everyone.