PDA

View Full Version : My First Hollow Form

Dick Parr
04-10-2005, 7:45 PM
Well I turned my first hollow form today out of box elder. :) Last night I brought in a number of blanks from the shed and this was one of them. I had a number of pieces in my arms and didn't think much of it. But today when I went to move them, this piece felt so light I thought it was hollow. I know it wasn't because I cut this blank back in October.

But that gave me an idea that it was time I tried to turn a hollow form so I set it up and started. The blank had a little burl on the outside which ended up on the bottom. And what is the top, there was some of the box elder red in it so I thought it would look good on top. Well the red came off in the first 1/4" :eek: but then the curl started to show up and the more I turned it and cut, the more the curl came out. :D

It is 7-1/4" x 4" and is 1/4" thick though most of it. Got chicken and stopped before I blew up my first try. The top is cherry but I haven't glued it in yet because as noted this blank was just cut last October and the tree came down in September so it is a bit wet and I will see how it moves before I glue the top on. It is buffed with all 3 wheels and I used sanding sealer to coat everything inside hoping to slow down the drying that's left. This is light as a feather so it is pretty dry already. The chips coming off felt dry, We will see.

Now that stuff is coming out a little better the next thing I need to work on is the lighting and taking better pictures. These were taken with the same camera on the same table with the same light.

Anyway thanks for looking and I am very happy with my first attempt at hollow form turning. Mickey loves it and has a place for it picked out already.

Jerry Clark
04-10-2005, 8:32 PM
That is really nice, Dick, I like the form:) --

Carole Valentine
04-10-2005, 8:54 PM
You should be very happy! It's beautiful! I hope that someday I will be able to do something approaching that. :)

Ernie Nyvall
04-10-2005, 9:37 PM
Dick, that is a beautiful piece and dittos what Carole said about doing one. That's real nice grain. Looks like a blonde tiger. Good job.

Ernie

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
04-10-2005, 9:42 PM
Nice turning, Dick. You are on your way. As for finding a place for it, be sure there is room for lots more. Hollow forms are adicting as most turning is. I have filled up a cup rack, the mantle, and have started on a breakfast bar in the kitchen. I need to set up a booth some where and try to sell them, but I don't lnow if my wife will let me get rid of them.)-:

Mark Singer
04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Dick,

Amazing!I would not even know where to begin!!! That is great work!

Dick Parr
04-11-2005, 7:43 AM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. This will more then likely be the last one, at least of this size. I thought I already hurt everywhere, wrong :eek: . I am hurting in places I didn't know could hurt :( I am sure I will make another one but it will be a lot smaller and might take a couple of days to do. :)

Thanks again

Blake McCully
04-11-2005, 8:14 AM
Dick,
Outstanding vessel. How did you reverse it for the bottom? Did you make a jam chuck, or did you use a cole or jumbo jaws?

Again great work.

John Miliunas
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Stunning, Dick! Simply stunning!!!:) Great form, beautiful finish and you did that chunk 'o wood justice!:) I hope it's NOT your last, though I understand completely about the pain thing. Small ones are nice, too! So, what type of hollowing tool(s) are you using? Once I get brave enough to attempt a hollow form, I need to be prepared! Thanks for the post. Very, very nicely done!:) :cool:

John Daugherty
04-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Dick, That's really great!

Glenn Hodges
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Nice work Dick, thanks for letting us see it.

Kurt Aebi
04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Simply Fantastic!

Great Job!

Dick Parr
04-11-2005, 2:01 PM
Thanks again everyone.

Blake first I used a compression chuck I built but it wouldn't allow me to really blend in the bottom, only remover the tenon. So I made a jam chuck to fit into the opening and used a flat head on my live center drive in the tail stock which worked great. Would have saved a step if I had used it to begin with. ;)

Thanks John, I used a bunch of tools for it, tried them all. ;) I have a Sorby hollow master that I used the most and a 1/2" round nose scraper to clean everything up with. I have made a couple of tools using big allen wrench's ground down and put into handles, they will work for smaller hollow forms but didn't do to good on this one.

Thanks again. :)

Tyler Howell
04-11-2005, 2:56 PM
Real fine job Dick, Nice work.

Carole Valentine
04-11-2005, 4:40 PM
I have a Sorby hollow master that I used the most
Ok, Dick...give it up! What's the secret to that darn Hollowmaster? I've looked at the video, read, experimented and I still can't use the thing! Help me!

Ed Scolforo
04-11-2005, 4:43 PM
Dick: You've given me something to strive for. Great job!

Ed

Andy London
04-11-2005, 4:55 PM
That is a beautl Dick, Very well done!

My son is working on his first in Apple with a Caboa top, he filled some of the voids with Inlace but for some reason it fell out the first go around. Wish I had more time for the lathe as it sure looks fun!!

Andy

Michael Stafford
04-11-2005, 5:05 PM
Mr. Parr, you have reached a whole new plateau of excellence. That is a beautiful piece and particularly a beautiful first hollow form! My congratulations to you!!!! :D

As far as the pain, that is what they make hot tubs and Jack for...Sit in the hot tub, sip a little Jack and admire your work! :p :D :D :D

Dick Parr
04-11-2005, 5:12 PM
Thanks guys,

Carole, this is the first time I have really used it other then to practice with on any piece of wood left in the chuck, nothing hollow. I practice when I am roughing a bowl our using the hollow master and multi tip tools instead of a bowl gouge, for some of the bowl anyways. ;)

It was mostly feel. I think the tool rest was just below center and I took very light cuts back and forth, it seemed to work very good. I know I kept moving the cutter around to different positions. Some would grab and other locations only the end of the tool would touch wood and not the cutter.

The best I can tell ya is to use it when you are roughing out a bowl and practice then at what high th works best and how light or heavy a cut to take. Unless you are in a hurry to get the bowl done just take your time and the wood will come off the tip.

Having only done this one hollow form I am by no means very knowledgeable, but I think with this shallow of a form the Sorby multi tip tool would work better so that you can get closer to the work. With the neck of the hollow master it leaves you so far away. :confused:

Good luck