PDA

View Full Version : Translucent Norfolk Island Pine - A Major Gloat (at least for me)

BILL DONAHUE
08-05-2012, 9:29 PM
Entered two pieces in the Pensacola Museum of Art's 54th Annual Juried Show. There were some 200 entries, mostly from professional artists and mostly paintings and about half made it into the show. Got 3rd place. During the judging and for the reception the piece had a light directly overhead by about two inches showing off the translucency. Afterwards, it was placed under a plexiglass cover as in the photos and it doesn't look nearly as impressive. Will attach a photo of it taken in my garage with the light overhead. The piece was singled out by the local art critic in the paper for a good mention. The really neat thing was answering questions from the "real" artists and trying to explain why I don't have a studio and don't deal with any galleries. Had to explain that my job is a financial advisor and fishing gets in the way of making things out of wood. The one photo includes my daughter.

Thomas Canfield
08-05-2012, 9:46 PM
Congratulations. Translucent NIP is one of my favorites. The first time I saw some in on a visit to Kauai about 14 years ago, I could not over how it looked. I think that HI has more NIP available and the turners there have been working with it longer. You did a good job getting the "glow".

Eric Gourieux
08-05-2012, 9:55 PM
Bill,
That's a beautiful piece. Congrats on the awards. What finish did you apply? Looks like a nice gloss

Jay Rasmussen
08-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Way to go Bill!

The photo taken in your garage makes it look alive.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Congratulations! Nice work!

Paul Williams
08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
You done good Bill. Your daughter is beautiful. Oh and the NIP is good too.

(Hey somebody had to do it.)

Ron Stadler
08-05-2012, 11:12 PM
That's beautiful and finish is great, I wish I could get those kind of finishes on my projects, looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Congrats Bill. Beautiful piece and beautiful daughter.

Kathy Marshall
08-06-2012, 1:36 AM
Congrats Bill! Beautiful piece!

Michelle Rich
08-06-2012, 6:45 AM
super vessel. Fishing is ahead of most things in life!! Congrats on the award.

Bob Rotche
08-06-2012, 7:25 AM
Congratulations Bill! You should be very proud and judging by the pics, I'd say the honor was well deserved!

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2012, 7:26 AM
Bill - congrats on the award! Very happy to see you get the recognition! Well deserved!

Roland Martin
08-07-2012, 7:36 AM
Congratulations Bill, certainly well deserved recognition. Very well done.

BILL DONAHUE
08-07-2012, 9:18 PM
Bill,
That's a beautiful piece. Congrats on the awards. What finish did you apply? Looks like a nice gloss

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Eric, the finish is clear gloss WOP and I spend a lot of time on it. Wrote an article for Woodturning Design which I hope is in the February, 2013 issue and describe the finishing process. It involves using very sharp tools at a fast speed to get a smooth finish and then spending a heck of a lot of time sanding with the higher grits by hand with the fibers (top to bottom). Then multiple thin coats of WOP waiting at least 48 hours between coats. Have tried several finishes but to get a glassy one, which is best for translucency, WOP is best. Most people think the pieces are glass even when holding one and that's my goal.