PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G 1079

Paul Sikorski
08-05-2012, 9:05 PM
For some weird reason 3 of these have shown up on craigslist in the last 12 hours. Anyone have or used one. Its the 16 inch version. Just curious what it maybe worth the prices vary between $350 to $650. I am planing on making some kitchen cabinets over the winter and wodnering if its worth it. I have and old craftsman open frame but its pretty under powered curious if upgrading would be worth it. thought the open frame is pretty nice.

Curt Harms
08-06-2012, 7:58 AM
Here's Grizzly's page though the model is no longer available for sale:

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G1079

I looked at the specification sheet and a couple things caught my attention. One is that it's 2 h.p. 240 volt only. If a machine requires 240 volts, why not make it 3 h.p? I have a 1.5 h.p. Performax with one sanding drum. It's none too powerful. This machine has two drums. I have no first hand experience but have seen posts about 2 drums being very difficult to set up properly. And with limited power I'd think the drums would have to set up very carefully in order for both to sand without overloading the motor. But again, I've never seen let alone use the G1079 or similar.

Paul Sikorski
08-06-2012, 8:05 AM
Thanks Curt. I think Im gonna pass on this. It just doesnt have the capacity I need to justify the shop space. Was kind of unusual that 3 showed up within 12 hours I started wondering if there was some kind of recall or something. Thanks again