PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1 1/2 HP Electeric Motor does not start

Robin Peterson
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a Jet 1 1/2 hp, 18/9 amps,115/230 volt,3450 rpm phase 1, pole 2, motor mounted on a Jet table saw - E171548 that will not start. So far I have replaced the off/on switch and the overload switch. I am having trouble finding a electric motor repair shop that will even look at this small of a motor. Is there any thing I can try before sucumming to buying a new motor?

Rod Sheridan
08-05-2012, 1:19 PM
What are the syptoms Robin?

Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
08-05-2012, 8:13 PM
First assure yourself that the wire connections are correct for the voltage you are using. A motor wired for 240 won't run on 120V.

If the motor hums when you turn the power on the start capacitor is bad. Spinning the motor by hand and hitting the power while it is still spinning will sometimes get it to start. If it starts when you hand spin it, you need a new capacitor.

Humming can also mean a problem with the centrifugal switch on the end away from the pulley that may be stuck or broken. Blow out the motor with a compressor or remove the end cap and clean it.

Check Continuity through the motor with an Ohm meter to insure the wiring isn't broken. Some motors also have a thermal overload (usually a red button somewhere on the motor housing). Press this button in and see if it will reset.

Joseph Tarantino
08-06-2012, 9:34 PM
what did jet tech support say about this problem?