PDA

View Full Version : Question about Grain Direction

Glen Blanchard
08-05-2012, 11:26 AM
As a rule of thumb, grain direction is dictated by the dimensions of the piece being turned. If it is going to be taller than it is wide, the grain should run parallel with the long axis of the lathe's bed. If it will be wider than tall, the grain should run perpendicular to the long axis of the lathe's bed.

True or False?

Reed Gray
08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Well, some times. Only set rule I know of is that for rolling pins, and spindles like used in stairs, or chairs, you want long grain. I have seen big end grain bowls, and side grained boxes.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Glen - I think if the item is to be functional - then the basic rule you stated would be true. However, IMO, when turning non-functional/artistic pieces (hollow forms for an example), then the grain is orientated more for ascetics than strength.

Curt Fuller
08-05-2012, 2:16 PM
As Steve and Reed have already said, for functional turning that is going to need stability and strength, I would agree with that rule of thumb. But for more artistic work I try to stay away from the straight grained sections of the tree and then I orient the wood in whichever way will highlight the irregularities and personality of the wood best. About the only other rule of thumb I have tried to adhere to is mounting the wood in such a way that it will have a stable tenon to hold onto in the chuck.

robert baccus
08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Being cajun I really resent most rules and turn vases and bowls either way. They do turn easier some ways than others but who cares yeah.