PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to engraving and trophies

Scott Stephens
08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the Engraver's Forums. My first passion is cars but now that I've put on a couple car cruises for our local high school I'm looking to start making dash plaques and trophies. I'm open to all suggestions and comments. Our local suppliers for both are outrageously priced in my opinion. Hoping to start up a side business and building it up from there as the time comes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ross Moshinsky
08-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Just wanted to introduce myself to the Engraver's Forums. My first passion is cars but now that I've put on a couple car cruises for our local high school I'm looking to start making dash plaques and trophies. I'm open to all suggestions and comments. Our local suppliers for both are outrageously priced in my opinion. Hoping to start up a side business and building it up from there as the time comes.

Very unlikely.

Tim Bateson
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
There are a LOT of car show out there. There has even been a topic here on the subject - do a search. The biggest thing about those trophies is to think outside the box. I do one locally every year. last year they bought Crystal candle stick holders from local Dollar stores - actually it took them a dozen stores. I engraved upside down, they then somehow mounted them. I wish I had gotten some picture.. but bottom line, they saved a ton of money and no one realized they were anything but a unique crystal award. Dollar stores, and other discount stores carry a variety of small Crystal objects that with a little imagination can and do make great awards.

I should add that the first year I only made 5 trophies for them and it has grown every year. This year I have an order for 150 for that same show.

Bill Cunningham
08-06-2012, 7:43 PM

What size/material is the dash plaque, and what do you call "outrageously priced"

Martin Boekers
08-07-2012, 10:24 AM
I recommend Dye Sublimation for dash plaques, you can do more with as you can make them in color.
The transfer process is also quite a bit faster than laser. Search dash plaques online there are quite
a few places that do them for under $2. Not a big money maker, but it does make some money.
Trophies can be a pain unless your set up for assembly. Retail can be a tough sale, I still do dash
plaques, but found out most car guys put their money into cars and not the perephery.