PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunting finds...

steven c newman
08-04-2012, 8:22 PM
were kind of skimpy today, got a late start. I did find a couple $1 handsaws, though. Both seem to be 10tpi blades. 238440238441"Blondie" will need a single bolt, and some clean-up. Maybe a sharpening as well. The Black tote is stamped 10 under the tote. Nice, big, comfy handle! Just a little clean-up, right?:D The blondie saw is just a Warrented Superior medallioned saw. No crcks in the tote. The Black tote has a nice.old crack in it. Time for a glue up? Needs all the hardware, as well. Does have ONE sawnut. No medallion, either. We'll see what happens...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-04-2012, 8:33 PM
looks like a nice, comfortable handle on the darker handled saw.

steven c newman
08-05-2012, 2:27 PM
Worked on the black handled one for awhile today238471238472Just a sandpaper, by hand, treatment. I am off to Disstonianville to look up the etch i found on it. There is a lot of script to the right of a large circle. Has a "& Sons' at the end of the script. No Medallion was with it. Maybe a d-7??? As for the other saw? it will be next on the "Bench", later today.

Mark Godlesky
08-05-2012, 3:07 PM
I would guess a 16. They have the medallion at the bottom. If it is a 16/D-16 it is one of Disston's higher end saws.

steven c newman
08-06-2012, 1:30 AM
Worked on saw #2 this evening..238534238535teeth count is about an 8-9 tpi. Might just file this one as a rip type of saw. Just need to refinish the handle, and find a saw nut for it. Might even take the router to the handle, and round them boxy curves up. Thinking this might be an early 50s model???

steven c newman
08-09-2012, 6:10 PM
I got the handle of the Disston No. 16 (?) off the blade, and got rid of the rest of the rust. Just sandpaper, and a purple scratchy pad, with plenty of elbow grease. 238810238811238812A lot of pitting out near the end. Not sure what those squiggles are. Hardware will be here next week. Brass, of course. Next up, a trip to the saw vise, seems them teeth need a bit of work. I get this $1 saw done, then I'll work on the other saw. Hardware cost was $10.

steven c newman
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
worked a bit on the tote, sanding off the old finish. Got rid of the silver paint spots, as well. Polished up the ONE saw bolt I have, nice and shiny Brass. Non plated, solid brass. The crack I'm trying to fix is just in the area ahead of the hand hole. And, right through one of the bolt locations. Might try to squeeze some tite bond into the crack, clamp it up, and then clean up the over-fill later. I didn't know that a No. 16 came with a skew back blade. Special order, maybe?? Just one set of holes in the plate, maybe the original tote? Holes have a "ridge' on one side of the opening. Punched holes, or drilled?

Jim Koepke
08-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Steven,

You sound like you are very industrious. Must be the youth in you?

If you are ever out this way, you would be welcome to stop by if you feel a need to clean up some old saws or other tools. :D

jtk

steven c newman
08-10-2012, 1:25 PM
Industrious? nah, just bored. happens when one only works 7 out of every 14 days. 12 hour days do make one grumpy though. Going to go back out rust Hunting today, Barn sale just down the road. I am trying to get these two saws ready for sale. Might take awhile though.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-10-2012, 2:53 PM
Industrious? nah, just bored. happens when one only works 7 out of every 14 days. 12 hour days do make one grumpy though.

No kidding. I work the same schedule. Nice to have whole days to do something though, instead of trying to cram "everything else" into the weekend or the waning hours after work.

Tell you what though, I certainly don't miss working the 12 hour nights. (Although I liked the weekly schedule better, working three or four in a row instead of the flip-flopping 2-2-3 schedule we have on the day shift.

steven c newman
08-10-2012, 3:20 PM
two days during the week, everyother weekend is a Sat., Sun., and Mon. night "on". If someone one the other night shift takes a vacation, someone will just have to take their place, from MY shift. Imagine a FOUR day, 12 hour shift, "weekend"? Yuck. Three more years, then I will retire.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-10-2012, 3:36 PM
Yuck! Yeah, my old night shift was three 12s in a row one week, 4 the next. When we first got our place I was working a lot of OT to build back up our savings a bit - I did 6 nights a week for a couple of months. No fun. Working long shifts and weird hours just runs you down after a while, especially if you're on your feet moving around for the whole thing.

Now I'm doing wed-thursday one week, and mon-tue + fri-sat-sun the next. Losing the whole "real" weekend never used to bother me, but it's frustrating for my wife.

Glad you get to get out sooner rather than later. It's going to be a lot longer than three years for me! 14 years on nights was as long as I could take though. I didn't switch to the day shift until my wife put her foot down, but now that I have made the switch, I'm glad I did. Although I wouldn't mind going back to nights and having management and engineering out my hair some times.

Either way, nice job on the saws!

You must have quite the collection at this point. Got a till or anything for 'em?

steven c newman
08-10-2012, 6:44 PM
Most of the saws I've restored have sold. I think there are four hanging in the shop. I went BACK out today, and found another four saws at barn sales. Counting two screwdrivers, I spent about $4.50 . A look at some..238833Both of these are WS saw. That big one is 28"+ long. Looks like a D-7/D-8 handle. No etch. More?238834238835and the other two saws. Red handle is kind of short. As for the saw I am working on, I sanded down the handle today..238836Just need to glue it back together. Been a decent day, other than it raining most of the day.