PDA

View Full Version : Cutting and engraving Carbon Fiber

Bobby Helton
04-10-2005, 4:15 PM
hi, does any one out there know the settings for rastoring and vecoting 2mm carbon fiber on an epilong Legend 35 watt laser? i would just figure it out my self, but i dont have any scrap sheet material to test :( ...

thanks in advance for your help

Bobby Helton
04-12-2005, 6:18 PM
no suggestions. i could even deal with some ballpark #'s. I have just never cut carbon sheet on the laser and have no idea where to start. any suggestions?!

Jerry Allen
04-12-2005, 7:10 PM
ballpark guess:
speed 8% power 100%

You might want to start out with less power, say speed 10, power 80 and do a few test squares at increasing power to dial it in.

Mike Mackenzie
04-12-2005, 7:49 PM
Bobby,

Don't want to rain on your parade but cutting even thin carbon fiber is difficult or not even possible using a Co2 laser. the reason is it has metal and glass fibers both of which don't cut well. having said that I would recommend trying it with air assist and doing it in several passes (50 power 10 speed 3 passes). This material will flame a lot so using less power and multiple passes with air may help do the job. I don't think the edge quality will be good.

Good luck

Chuck Burke
04-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Bobby,
I don't know where you are geogaphically, bu you might want to contact Roy Brewer at Brewer Sales in Texas. He usually has the answer is is very willing to help.
However, Mike McKenzie also know his stuff and is more than likely correct.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards.

Bobby Helton
04-13-2005, 5:14 PM
thanks for the suggestions. Mike, I do have an air assist and was planning on useing it. how about engraving on the surface, any special suggestions for the power/speed settings for doing this? or should i just use the same settings that i have been useing for acrylics?

once again, thanks so much for the help

Mike Mackenzie
04-13-2005, 5:54 PM
Bobby,

You will probably have to hit it a little harded than you would for acryllic. Try slowing the speed down. The problem you might have is it won't contrast well. I don't know if that is an issue or not.

Roy Brewer
04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
hi, does any one out there know the settings for rastoring and vectoring 2mm carbon fiber on an epilong Legend 35 watt laser?:(

Bobby,

Since Chuck "drug" me into this, I'll respond. But I really can't add much to what Mike Mc offered.

I recently did some samples for a prospect and the vectored edges were pretty rough and they also "curled" a bit(as would a cheap plastic ball point pen), but this was OK for my prospects application. I used a 45watt laser 19%speed, 100% power. As Mike suspected, rastering was crisp, but almost invisible because there was no contrast: 100%speed 100%Power on the 45watt.

The carbon fiber samples that were supplied to me were .0625 instead of 2mm.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Bobby Helton
04-15-2005, 5:14 PM
well, you were right, i tryed various power speed settings and doing mutliple passes with no luck. the laser had no problem cutting through the resin but it just didnt wanna go through the carbon weave. it made a nice bright spot when cutting atleast =P...o well, on to a dif material, we;re thinking of trying phenolic, any one familiar with cutting it?

thanks again