PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Elbow--120MM X 4"---Where to buy?

Peter Quinn
08-04-2012, 9:45 AM
I'm looking for a 90 degree elbow that goes from the 120MM outlet on my shaper to a 4" dust hose. I swear I've seen these for sale before on the Felder E shop, or some where, but I can't find one any where. I know there are other ways to pluck this chicken, but a single reducing elbow would be the cleanest solution for my situation. Mostly its driving me crazy because I swear I'd seen them before. Any ideas?

Erik Loza
08-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Peter, check these out (working on cars is my other hobby)...

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CXR&Category_Code=PIP400

Hope this helps.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Quinn
08-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Looks like its actually 125MM to 4" I need. Its for a Minimax t-40 shaper hood. I though sure I'd seen these somewhere, can't find one anywhere.

Erik Loza
08-04-2012, 2:45 PM
What about just a rubber sewer pipe fitting like a Fernco? I know the "cast part" you are describing. I would take the hood to Lowes or HD and maybe try to find some thin sheet metal ducting that could act as a male-male, to your hood. Just a thought.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Heidrick
08-04-2012, 2:52 PM
Fernco 4" rubber sewer pipe fitting from lowes (as Erik mentioned) and a 4" flex hose tool adapter slips right in it.

Rod Sheridan
08-04-2012, 3:31 PM
238422Hi Peter, Felder have part # 02.0.020 which is a 120mm ID to 120mm OD adapter.

Are you sure that a 4" hose will provide enough airflow for your shaper?

A 5" hose is more than 50% larger than a 4" hose..................Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
08-04-2012, 8:02 PM
238422Hi Peter, Felder have part # 02.0.020 which is a 120mm ID to 120mm OD adapter.

Are you sure that a 4" hose will provide enough airflow for your shaper?

A 5" hose is more than 50% larger than a 4" hose..................Regards, Rod.

Yup, Rod, I'm using it on a 4" line now. Have been for several years. The hood is designed reasonably well from a DC perspective, most of the openings are closed off, no big gaps, it directs chips to the back fairly well unless there is a lot of cutter projection beyond the fence. So the 4" gives enough CFM's to do the job. It came to me with an HVAC "fitting", a sort of light weight sheet metal thing, reduces from 5" to 4", its a little sloppy but works. Unfortunately the 4" hose likes to slip off of it, occasionally in the middle of shaping something. I've tried duct tape, rivets, chewing gum, metal pipe sealing tape, voodoo.....nothing works, it eventually slips off. Normal hose clamps just crush the flimsy adaptor, so thats out too. I'm sure I could get this done in metal from Onieda or similar, but I'm looking for a cheaper way first. I may just take the hood to my local plumbing supply store next week to see what can be done. I thought sure I'd seen something like this in ABS, perhaps that was in my mind?

I may be able to plumb something in 5" but I'd need a length of 5" flex hose. The 4" happens to be sitting there, just to the right of the machine, ready to go if the hose would stay on the machine.

Stephen Cherry
08-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Here's what I did for hanging 4" flex tube. This is welding wire, one on each side. Hasn't fallen off since I did it.

Larry Edgerton
08-05-2012, 7:37 PM
Peter

I have a reducing elbow on my shop planer the reduces from about 6" to 5" and is rubber. I got it at a truck salvage yard. There are all kind of cool parts on the intercooler systems of trucks that can be used, but you have to go looking.

I like junkyards so its like a field trip for me.:D

Larry

Peter Quinn
08-05-2012, 8:14 PM
Larry, I went shopping right in my own spare DC parts bin! Thing PO' me for the last time today. I started digging, found a 4" ABS 45 DC fitting which fit snugly into the wimpy thin reducer I had, kind of firmed it up. I riveted the two together, then sealed them with some metal duct seal tape. The ABS 45 gave me enough turn to aim toward the DC pipe with the flex hose, and it let me connect the hose with a proper hose clamp. I then put several wraps of 3/16" PSA silicone rubber weather seal I had kicking around on the inside of the 5" end of the reducer (really closer to 5 1/2", odd size thing) and it made a friction fit on the 125MM outlet of the minimax hood. Solved, and all along I had everything to do it already in the shop except the round tuit. The last time that thing fell off I was at the beginning of running a 16' piece of base cap, I was the infeed support, and I stood there getting pelted in the face with chips until I got enough wood through the shaper that I could let go and run to hook the hose back up. Not sure why I let this go on so long, but gargling Doug Fir sure has a way of motivating me.:eek:

Larry Edgerton
08-05-2012, 8:44 PM
All of my SCM/Minimax stuff has odd sizes as compared to what is reddily available in my neck of the woods. I could help Rube Goldburg write a how to book.

Larry