PDA

View Full Version : Damon Rakie & Co metal plane info please

Ron Petley
08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I have a Damon Rakie & Co metal hand plane it looks much like a Stanly #4, corrugated sol, but has a light wood (almost looks like oak) tote and handle. The only marking are on the iron. Google did not have anything on this plane. Does anybody have any info about these planes. Is it if any collector value. I thought I would ask before I do anything to it. I would use it as a shop plane but do not want to remove any value if it has any.
Cheers Ron.

James Taglienti
08-03-2012, 10:46 PM
If it is a copy of a Stanley plane there won't be much collector value. If it has a strange adjuster or something it might be worth a bit more than a very nice Bailey #4

Ron Petley
08-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes it is a copy at a few feet away other than the wood it looks the same.
Cheers Ron

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-04-2012, 6:40 AM
at least in my opinion, if the only marking is on the blade, that doesn't necessitate that the logo corresponds with the manufacturer of the plane. I've come across plenty of planes "in the wild" where the blade has obviously been replaced, or a second blade was used and that was what accompanied the plane in it's trip to my hands. A lot of folks made Stanley-style planes; it would seem even more may have made Stanley style blades. I've come across Millers Falls and Stanley planes with a blades stamped with a variety of manufacturer logos - I would assume some of these were hardware store brands. Given that it's the most easily and frequently replaced part, the logo on the blade may not correspond to who made the plane.

Ron Petley
08-04-2012, 1:56 PM
This is true, that's why it is called "in the wild". It came from some German speaking farmers so it would make sense that the thing could have come from Germany, but who really knows. The odd wood handles could have been home made as well. Since it is no diamond I can sell for anything more than I paid for it I will tune it up maybe ditch the wood and make it my own. I sharpened the blade up and the plane does work well. It has not bee misused or used all that much. I am always interested in looking at the sharpening of the blade when I find a plane. The majority look like they were sharpened with a weed whacker and the odd one is not all that bad. This one was towards the good side. Thanks for the insights it will be a shop mystery plane. Cheers Ron.

Jim Koepke
08-04-2012, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the insights it will be a shop mystery plane.

What kind of lateral adjuster does it have?

Here is one place to look for identification:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/graphics/plane%20id.html

Some used similar ends so this isn't the end all of lateral adjusters, but it is a start.

jtk

Andrae Covington
08-05-2012, 2:06 PM
I have a Damon Rakie & Co metal hand plane it looks much like a Stanly #4, corrugated sol, but has a light wood (almost looks like oak) tote and handle. The only marking are on the iron. Google did not have anything on this plane. Does anybody have any info about these planes. Is it if any collector value. I thought I would ask before I do anything to it. I would use it as a shop plane but do not want to remove any value if it has any.
Cheers Ron.

As others have said, likely a German copy of a Stanley plane, or at least the blade. The Chicago Central Business and Office Building Directory of 1922 shows a Damon Raike & Co at 110 S Dearborn under the heading Importers. Some searching turned up references to other types of tools stamped with this name and/or "DARAIKE", made in Germany.