PDA

View Full Version : water heater house

Harry Goodwin
04-10-2005, 3:46 PM
Need some advice. I am getting ready to build a five foot "doghouse" eight feet
tall with double pitched roof for replacement water heater. I know how and have tools to build house and concrete pad but how do I attatch the new bldg. to the old which is vinyl siding. What comes off and what goes between the studs of the new buiding and the old and how about joining the roof that will be below the existing roof. I have matching shingles for roof left over from roof job. Harry

Ken Garlock
04-10-2005, 4:49 PM
HI Harry. While I can't answer your question, I would suggest you find out if you will need a building permit when you go attaching to the existing house. A friend at work wanted to put a small cover over this patio. The city told him that if the cover attached to the house, he needed a permit and inspections; if it was standalone, the city didn't care.

Something to consider :confused:

Harry Goodwin
04-10-2005, 5:26 PM
Thanks Ken
Don't I know as neighbor had garage halted by the city.
I don't need a building permit up to 10 ft square but have a varience in writing whatever that is. Thanks for the face saving warning. Harry

Jeff Sudmeier
04-11-2005, 8:26 AM
Harry,

If you do not yet have your Varience, they are not as easy to get as one would think. Most of the time to get a varience neighbors must be consulted and approve of the "addition".

Hopefully your town is different, but definately check into it.

Harry Goodwin
04-11-2005, 9:42 AM
Thanks Ken. I already have it with not that much difficulty. Harry