PDA

View Full Version : Trend Air Shield Pro

Dave Fritz
08-03-2012, 8:07 PM
Does anyone know of a home made battery pack for the new Air Shield Pro? There is one for the older model but I have the Pro.

Thanks,

Dave F.

Jim Burr
08-03-2012, 9:35 PM
I don't have time Dave, but try a search on that...I know within the last month or so there was few posts on that...could be of help

Ken Glass
08-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Dave,
I replaced the batteries in two (2) battery packs for the Trend Pro a couple months ago and here is how I did mine. They have worked beautifully. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187222-Alternative-A-rebuild-for-Trend-Air-Pro-Battery-Pack&highlight= I was called on to make a tutorial, but time just hasn't allowed. If you have any questions PM me and I'll guide you through it. It is quite easy.

Dave Fritz
08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Ken,

Thanks so much for the information. So you bought two factory batteries and replaced the batteries in them yourself? Do you have the cradle for charging one while using the other one?

Thanks again,

Dave F.

Ken Glass
08-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Dave,
Yes I do. I actually was given a charging stand by Trend USA when I called to talk to them about my two batteries going bad within a year. They do have very good tech service and do try to help. The cost is very small in comparison to the battery prices at most all places. Since I replaced the batteries I have had from 10-13 hours of run time on either battery I rebuilt.

Greg Ketell
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
After you follow Ken's thread on how to rebuild your existing batteries, see mine on how to put together a charger and battery stand that won't kill your batteries. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187778-Trend-Airshield-Battery-Charger&highlight=Trend+smart+charger

Dave Fritz
08-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Outstanding information! Thanks so much.

Dave F.

Jim Burr
08-04-2012, 1:01 PM
After you follow Kent's thread on how to rebuild your existing batteries, see mine on how to put together a charger and battery stand that won't kill your batteries. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187778-Trend-Airshield-Battery-Charger&highlight=Trend+smart+charger

That's the one I was talking about!!! Sorry I didn't have time to look it up for you Dave...mine is almost done!!

Mark Levitski
08-04-2012, 5:31 PM
Dave,

The Pro system is very good. The battery pack is light and works well for a while. Mine were not worth the cost in this regard, and shame on Trend for that. What were they thinking (maybe $)? As usual, they tout a professionl image of cuttng technology and fall short. At least their customer service is very good too, but what kind of awkward position are they in to defend the "dumb" battery charging system for this product? Even our De Walt and Milwaukee battery-powered drills and such are far beyond in this dept.

At least the cure that Ken and Greg have come up with IS easy and will bring the AS Pro up to snuff for most of us. I just finished changing over my first of two battery packs and it was simple. I will report my own results. Right now, the first pack is getting its initial charge. The Trend plastic housing for the original pack is simple to open. I cut off the leads to the batteries, wrapped my new batteries together w/ electrical tape, soldered them together in series (just copy the old pack), soldered the leads back onto the new pack P.S.-- The positive is the pin for the connector on the Trend cradle, and it is the black and white wire.

There is some kind of small thingy (fuse?) in the connection between the original final two batteries that I suspect is a protective device. I left that out. Is this the only smart part of the original batteries? Sheesh!

Mark

Ken Glass
08-04-2012, 5:32 PM
Greg,
Excellent. I must have missed your post in June. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Sid Matheny
08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
I hope it works out well for you Dave, I know it's not any fun when you have to stop working because you need to recharge the battery for the Trend.

Sid