PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Wood Bowls

Scott Lux
08-03-2012, 7:34 PM
I got these as rough-outs from a friend who got them from the widow of a turner. She wanted "all that wood gone". He offered to pay for it and she said no, just take it.

I've never turned a roughed out bowl before. Heck I haven't done that many bowls at all. These had been sitting for years, and my friend and I had no clue what they were. While turning they sure looked like maple. But they've darkened up considerably, making me think cherry. Who knows.

I tried to keep the shape the gentleman had roughed out on the smaller one. The larger was just bowl-shaped. Both had been on faceplates, so I went that route with them. Bottoms finished with a jam chuck and light passes. Both have a bump (what's the opposite of a dimple?) on the bottom. I'm not sure why I did it, but I kind of liked it. The Mrs. liked it on the first and suggested I do it again on the second.

The smaller us 7" x 3.5" and the larger is 9" x 4". Both sanded to 400 before finishing. Larger has 3 coats of gloss poly (SWMBO wanted it to stay lighter than the smaller one). Smaller has multiple coats of tung oil.

Critiques please, particularly on form.

James Combs
08-03-2012, 7:55 PM
I have done some Cherry, both old and new and what you have looks to be Cherry to me. Regardless it is some pretty wood and some pleasing shapes with some great finishes.

Curt Stivison
08-03-2012, 8:43 PM
Looks like cherry to me. Nice work

Curt

Prashun Patel
08-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Nice cherry. If it is indeed cherry, then I bet both will darken.

Bernie Weishapl
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Nice looking bowls and I agree with cherry.

Tim Leiter
08-04-2012, 8:57 AM
+5 on the darker ones being Cherry. Real nice looking bowls. Maybe Maple on pics 5, 6 and 8? JMO

Steve Schlumpf
08-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Nice work on both Scott! The form on the smaller one is not one I would have turned but seeing as how you were keeping with the original shape - I think you did good. Usually not a big fan of a large foot but it does work with this piece. The traditional bowl form is more along the lines of my personal taste. You did good.

I agree with everyone else... looks like Cherry to me also.

Scott Lux
08-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I donated the smaller bowl to a friend for a fundraiser for Pelotonia. She put it up as a silent auction. She ended up getting $40 for it. Not bad considering she out the opening bid at $25.