PDA

View Full Version : oak cockpit grating finish?

Diane Maluso
05-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Hi, you sawdust-covered-people:

I'm considering building a white oak grating for the floor of my sailboat's cockpit. White oak because I've got a lot of it already. I'm concerned, however, about the finish. If I use no finish, won't it get all ugly and eventually rot from the water?

If I use a varnish, won't it be too slippery?

If I use an oil-based finish, won't it need to be reapplied constantly?

The boat sails in fresh water only, btw. Should I give up on this idea and go with the plastic stuff?

Any/all advice welcome.

Diane

John Seutter
05-02-2003, 6:04 AM
Check with a boating supply dealer. My wife just picked up a product we are going to use on some porch benches that is suppose to last alot longer than spar varnish. It was about $25 for a quart can. I haven't used it yet, but am hoping that it will last at least several years.

John Lucas
05-02-2003, 7:42 AM
Diana,
You have asked all the right questions. I think the answer is to use a good Spar Varnish on the freshly sanded wood. Three coats should be enough. On thelast coat, spinkle the syrface with sand. That should give you a gloss finish and protection and some traction. I have used just that formula and it was difficult to sprinkle sand over the beautiful finish but it did do the job...get beach sand...it should be finer and less visible. It takes very little.

Lee Schierer
05-02-2003, 7:55 AM
Most paint supply houses have fine sand that can be mixed in with the paint or varnish to give you a glossy, but non-slippery surface. If you mix it in with the last coat as you apply it to the top surface, it will give a non-skid surface that won't wear off easily.

Bob Powers
05-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Diane,

We have a company called Cayuga Wooden Boat Works right here in little old Ithaca who should be able to advise you. You might enjoy a look in their shop. I bought some Sikkens products there last year, and was fascinated by the place.

Regards,

Bob

Dave Richards
05-02-2003, 12:05 PM
You might start with CPES from Smith's. It soaks into the wood and you apply it until it won't take anymore. Do that before assembly. Then, after assembling it a coat of epoxy followed by varnish. If you want to make a non skid surface, sprinkle salt or sugar on the wet layer of finish. After the finish has dried, rinse of the salt or sugar. It will dissolve in the water. This will leave a clear but textured surface.

Diane Maluso
05-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the ideas, folks. Looks like texturizing is the ticket. I'll stop by the boatworks, Bob. Great idea!

Diane