PDA

View Full Version : Vytek Laser issue...again

Joe Sabine
08-03-2012, 2:00 PM
We have a Vytek 3651 laser with a 35 watt tube. We have had it about 3 1/2 years and have had many problems with minimum (and costly) customer support(?). We use it mainly to etch pistol grips one set at a time so it has not had hard use.

Current problem: First use of the day it seems to work just fine. Then the power seems to drop and it will only laser the vertical lines (we do not have the vector option). Letters that are supposed to be solid are now just outlines with the exception of no horizontal lines. We have cleaned and checked mirror adjustment and have done so on a regular basis. With the laser set to max power it will only leave a small brown mark or, at best, cause the paper to smolder after 3-5 seconds rather than burst into flames. I tried placing the paper in between the tube and first mirror with the same result.

Of course, Vytek's first response was the align the mirrors. Their next response was to send us a test file to etch. They then said the tube was bad and for $2500 they would send me a replacement. I hesitate to go this route for several reasons. I understand the tubes are good for 20,000-40,000 hours and this one has nowhere near that many hours. I know those numbers are not absolute promises but should give a reasonable expectation. Second, in the past they have sent me instructions/photos on taking different voltage reading on the boards. This time there was no such support forthcoming. Third, all support in the past has been very expensive...more than it should have been...because it was "replace this. Does it work? No? Then replace this..." We spent over $700 replacing belts, cables and a motor before discovering the problem was a broken shaft on the motor. I can't afford to do the same thing with a laser tube.

Question is...can these tubes be acquired elsewhere at a more reasonable price? Are there troubleshooting procedures that can be accomplished to determine if the problem is the tube or a component/setting/adjustment on one of the boards?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Joe

325-374-3610

Bruce Volden
08-03-2012, 3:30 PM
Joe,

I don't know which mfgr. makes the tubes for your machine. Most tubes can be found cheaper on-line. Yes the laser tube CAN last many thousands of hours (gas wise), it's usually the electronics that fries. I don't know how proficient you are using a DVM (digital volt meter), but to me it would be interesting to hook it up to the input of your laser tube and monitoring the voltage----this interests me because you say the machine starts out just fine and then goes downhill. Seem possible something is attenuating the voltage. Your tube could be fine, other things could come into play if the voltages wander.

Bruce

Joe Sabine
08-05-2012, 7:30 PM
Thank you for your reply, Bruce. I am actually pretty good with a meter having used one for over 45 years. What I am not good at is determining where to take the readings and what the values should be.

The Vytek service department refers to it as a "Universal-30, 30 watt laser" so I assume it is made by Universal.

Joe