PDA

View Full Version : Question for Laguna LT 18 and/or MM20 owners.

Philip Rodriquez
08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I am going to be upgrading my Rikon 18” BS today and I’ve narrowed the field to two choices – each machine is new and I can get the packages for essentially the same price.
MM20: Also includes shipping, mobility kit, plus three steel blades (1/4", 1/2", & 1.0").
Laguna LT 18: Also includes shopping, 1 ¼” Resaw King, Driftmaster fence, mobility kit, ½” silicon blade, and a 1” extra thin (.023) blade.
Other information:

Due to shop space, I do plan on selling my Rikon, eventually :rolleyes:
70% of my work is resaw
18” of resaw capacity is more than enough
I do turn on the lathe (16” swing), but mainly spindle work
1/4” blade is as small as I will ever go on the BS
I am spending enough on the package so I do not want to go the MM20 route and add the resaw king and driftmaster. Call me crazy, but I do not want my BS to be the most expensive tool in my shop
My WW is furniture, veneer work, and other duties as assigned (by SWMBO)

Based on my research, I think the MM20 is a better resaw machine… but I also think the Laguna will beat out the MM20 when you put on a smaller blade. So, for the owners of these machines… any thoughts, regrets, or advice?

Carl Beckett
08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I have an LT18

With the Resaw King on it it does an outstanding job.

There have been a couple times when I was doing some rough stuff with the stock blade that I noticed the belt slipping a little (me abusing the feed rate, etc). No biggie, and in a way a sign that I was doing something I shouldnt be.

For smaller stuff I kept my older 14" saw - so I havent done much with a smaller blade on the Laguna.

I do like the ceramic guides.

James Baker SD
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I have the older LT-18 with around 12" resaw, quite a bit different from the saw you are considering so I won't comment on the saw other than to say it has done what I have asked of it. I "upgraded" to the driftmaster fence and have been very unimpressed with the quality and usefulness. It is a nice concept, but typical Chinese crappy quality control. Laguna, in their defense, has replaced several of the poorly made parts for free, but it still does not function well. I am about ready to put the OEM fence back on the saw.

James

David Hawxhurst
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
i don't have either. i would buy the mm20 over a laguna. its my feeling that minimax makes some of the best bandsaws on the market. there are others. but of the two you listed it would be the mm20.

Greg Portland
08-03-2012, 3:11 PM
I assume you're talking about the "Italian LT 18" and not the 3000 series LT 18.

Both are great machines. I have an older LT 18 and it can resaw @ full height with minimal problems. IMO, a resaw jig on the outside of the blade is going to give you the most flexibility (log & dimensioned lumber capability, etc.) and performance so I wouldn't let the Driftmaster fence sway me. I prefer the Laguna ceramic guides over the MM bearing guides for larger blades and resawing. For support, MM seems to get less complaints than Laguna.

Philip Rodriquez
08-03-2012, 3:44 PM
You are correct in your assumption, I am only looking at the Italians. Does your model have the 18" resaw? I ask because I have 200 BF of 8/4 spalted maple that I would be running through it... and the boards are 18" wide.

Carl Beckett
08-03-2012, 3:57 PM
You are correct in your assumption, I am only looking at the Italians. Does your model have the 18" resaw? I ask because I have 200 BF of 8/4 spalted maple that I would be running through it... and the boards are 18" wide.

Indeed my LT18 can do 18" resaw. Maybe a touch more.

I have a bunch of spalted maple and would expect this to behave quite well on it since its a fairly soft wood. I dont have any boards that are 18" wide though...... I tend to build with pieces that are less than this width.

Its worth distinguishing resawing logs vs resawing lumber or veneer... that could make a pretty big difference in setup.

Greg Portland
08-03-2012, 4:48 PM
Mine is NOT the 18" resaw version.

When you start to push the feed rate a higher power motor and beefier machine become more valuable. If you're going to be resawing a bunch of 18" wood I would strongly consider looking in the used market for a MM24 or similar machine. IMO it is better to get a tool that will comfortably handle your needs rather than pushing an 18" machine right to the limit.

Mike Heidrick
08-03-2012, 4:53 PM
I own a MM20. I would never trade it for an LT18. I would not trade a MM16 for an LT18. If you are comparing the LT18 and a MM20 you have not seen them in person. I suggest you do so before buying the LT18. The wheels and frame alone will make you go MM20 if the money is the same and these are the only saws you are considering.

I have added a driftmaster and ceramic guides to my MM20. Neither is needed but that driftmaster is nice. You do not need it day one but a year from now you might consider it. You cannot change the frame and wheels of an LT18 and give it the nicer features and overall mass of the MM20.

Id buy used (my MM20 was used) and save a fortune.

The MM20 will have no issues with your 200 bdft of 18". You will tire before it does. Its a 20" machine not an 18" machine. The single phase MM24 is teh same motor as the MM20 single phase. 3phase will give you a 7.5hp option on the MM24. Its considerably more money new though for the MM24 and it is taller.

The MM24 larger table would be even nicer though.

Philip Rodriquez
08-03-2012, 5:29 PM
Mike,
Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that has a MM20... so a side by side comparison is out. As I understand, the MM20 it is a better resaw machine (triple box, bigger wheels, and more heft)... but I'd like to get your thoughts on how well it performs in other categories - outside of resawing. Are blade changes and guide adjustments a PITA? How was it out of the box? As you raise and lower your top guides do you have to readjust them every time?

Laguna's awards are well documented... because 14" and 18" machines are regularly reviewed in WW magazines... but the MM20 is in a different weight/size class and, therefore, there is no way for me to personally compare them. I was going to go with the MM20 but the package deal that Laguna is offering has made it a very difficult decision.

mreza Salav
08-03-2012, 6:11 PM
Mike,
Unfortunately, I do not know anyone that has a MM20... so a side by side comparison is out. As I understand, the MM20 it is a better resaw machine (triple box, bigger wheels, and more heft)... but I'd like to get your thoughts on how well it performs in other categories - outside of resawing. Are blade changes and guide adjustments a PITA? How was it out of the box? As you raise and lower your top guides do you have to readjust them every time?

Laguna's awards are well documented... because 14" and 18" machines are regularly reviewed in WW magazines... but the MM20 is in a different weight/size class and, therefore, there is no way for me to personally compare them. I was going to go with the MM20 but the package deal that Laguna is offering has made it a very difficult decision.

I have compared MM16 and LT16, they are close but I'd choose MM16 over LT16. If I was going to buy a NEW machine in that price range I'd definitely consider
MM20 over LT18 without a doubt. Typically people (me included) keep a smaller bandsaw for thinner blades and save the bigger one with a dedicated resaw blade, JMHO.

I'm not sure why Van has not posted here yet!!

Mike Heidrick
08-03-2012, 7:20 PM
Its funny these packages. Tim used to toss out driftmasters and ceramic guides. I paid less for those than the driftmaster costs now. Dont let the package make the decision. The HD fence on the MM20 is fine and the bearings are excellent. They also sell cool block inserts you can use with MM20 guides.

On the mm20 the bearings are tooless to adjust to the blade. My Laguna ceramics require an allen. Also you can raise the upper guide 100% and still resaw on the MM20. To me blade changes are easy but I did mount my driftmaster handwheel on the right to use it effectively on the MM20 with blade changes/door openings.

Here are two websites I made on installing the Laguna guides and driftmaster on a MM20. You can see some parts of the MM20. You ahve a smaller saw already - just keep it too. Trust me when I tell you that if you sell it you will regret it. That regret cost me a Jet 12" and now a Jet 16" to replace that sold Jet 14". Its just so perfect to have a large and small saw.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~unix888/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr eplacingtheoriginalfence/ (http://myplace.frontier.com/%7Eunix888/lagunadriftmasterfenceinstallonminimaxmm20bandsawr eplacingtheoriginalfence/)

http://myplace.frontier.com/~unix888/lagunaceramicguideinstallonminimaxmm20replacingthe originalbearingguides/ (http://myplace.frontier.com/%7Eunix888/lagunaceramicguideinstallonminimaxmm20replacingthe originalbearingguides/)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/bss1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/bss2.jpg

David Kumm
08-03-2012, 8:11 PM
The comparable for the MM20 is the ACM 540 in terms of frame strength and build and even then the Centauro saw is a little heavier. There is no downside to a heavier frame saw. It will handle small blades as well or better and resaw. If the saw is strong enough the guides become less important as the ability to tension blades means less reliance on them. The fit and finish on the MM saws may be less perfect than some others but that is the only downside I've heard of. Dave

Peter Kelly
08-03-2012, 8:40 PM
MiniMax MM20. Laguna has a long history of just dropping support for their products eg: Casadei edgebanders, Harwi panel saws, etc.

Van Huskey
08-04-2012, 1:11 AM
That is an EASY one. MM20. The MM20 does fine with a 1/4" blade, better with a Carter Stabilzer. In the end get a second saw for contour cutting...:D The MM is a better saw than the Laguna LT20 which is a more direct comparison anyway. The only thing the LT20 beats the MM20 on is guides (not an issue with resawing) and HP, look at the difference in weight.

Mike Heidrick
08-04-2012, 2:35 AM
In all honesty though - id take the LT20's 6hp Baldor or the LT18's 4.5hp Baldor over the italian gem on my MM20. Also the Laguna's have rack and pinion table tilts.

Call it national pride but all the Baldor's I own are smooth and run super cool. The nicer Laguna machines do get nice motors! (never had an issue with my MM20 motor though)

Philip Rodriquez
08-04-2012, 3:32 PM
Does anyone have any comments on the 1" Lennox Tri-Master blade? If I go the MM20 route, I may pick one up.

Mike Heidrick
08-04-2012, 3:42 PM
Does anyone have any comments on the 1" Lennox Tri-Master blade? If I go the MM20 route, I may pick one up.

They work great but I like the thin kerf of my resaw king blades better. Thats what is mounted right now. The woodmaster CT is awesome too and cheaper than the tri master.

Noah Levy
08-04-2012, 4:54 PM
I have an MM20. Instead of the Laguna you could step up to a 24" Grizzly and have money left over for Laguna guides and a resaw king. That's a killer set up, and you're dealing with a better customer focused company.

BTW, 200 bf of spalted maple is nothing for an MM20. I re-sawed 14" Brazilian cherry without any probs. The blades don't like it much though.

Philip Rodriquez
08-06-2012, 3:24 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for their valuable contributions and advice. In the end, I decided to purchase the MM20. I already placed my order and I do plan on posting pictures and a review, once I receive it. I'll also post some pictures of how well it performs resawing some 18" wide boards and what adjustments, if any, are required to receive acceptable results.

Thanks again,
P

Erik Loza
08-06-2012, 5:23 PM
Thanks, Phil. Were looking forward to having you enjoy your new saw, as well.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Heidrick
08-06-2012, 8:58 PM
You did good and once you have it safely in the shop and set up you will see why many of us are happy with it!

Carl Beckett
08-07-2012, 7:56 AM
Heck, Im happy for him and I dont even know him! :D

Matthew Hills
08-07-2012, 9:44 AM
6. I am spending enough on the package so I do not want to go the MM20 route and add the resaw king and driftmaster. Call me crazy, but I do not want my BS to be the most expensive tool in my shop
So what is the most expensive piece of equipment in your shop?

(and we'll all want to see pictures once your new baby arrives in the shop)

Matt

Philip Rodriquez
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
An ICS SawStop with all the trimmings - plus the Excalibur glade guard and a sliding table.:D I park her right next to my Lotus SC.

Philip Rodriquez
08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks Erik,
You guys (and gals) were great to work with!