PDA

View Full Version : USA made Jointer Knives

Kevin Presutti
08-02-2012, 9:45 PM
I need a replacement set of knives for my PM50 (small machine I know :-( ) I have been reading about T-1 HSS but it seems as though it all comes from China including the machining. I have read as redcently as tonight on Practical Machinist that the life excedes M-2 HSS by 20-25%. I would prefer to buy American but I am not even sure the the stell if machined here comes from the USA. Suggestions on where to buy a USA set of knives are welcome as well as any insight on T-1. Thanks all!

Mike Heidrick
08-02-2012, 9:49 PM
Have you tried the Freud blades Brian at holbren dot com sells? They get good reviews and he gets blades out fast. Email him at bgumpper at holbren dot com or check his site.

Tom Wassack
08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Greetings from NC!
I would recommend American National Knife - http://www.americannationalknife.com/. I ordered a extra set of knives for my Porter jointer with an odd size - 6 1/8 X 1 1/2 X 5/32. I placed the order on Friday and had them Saturday (of course they are just 75 miles from me). When I open the package, the length was wrong - 6 1/2 vs 6 1/8. Perhaps my mistake; however, I called Tuesday and explained the issue and they said no problem. A new set arrived Wednesday along with a prepaid return shipping envelope for the incorrectly sized ones. That's what I call customer service!

Regards,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Kevin Presutti
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks Mike and Tom! I actually have American Knife up on another tab. I was planning on calling them and Holbren to find outsome more about T-1.

David Kumm
08-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Don't forget Bobby at Woodworkers Tool works in Melrose WI. They also do a great job of sharpening and making sure they are balanced. Dave

Larry Edgerton
08-03-2012, 7:01 AM
Not positive where they are made but I believe Esta knives are made in the USA, and they are a much better system. Set the jointer once and then just replace the inserts in the holders. I use their cobalt steel inserts in one of my jointers. About 10 minutes to change.

Larry

Brian Gumpper
08-03-2012, 7:35 PM
Thanks Mike and Tom! I actually have American Knife up on another tab. I was planning on calling them and Holbren to find outsome more about T-1.

T1 steel is comprised of 18% tungsten powder. Carbide is tungsten powder and a binder so you can imagine having some tungsten powder in the steel mades the blades last longer.

Mel Fulks
08-03-2012, 8:37 PM
Ah! One of my favorite subjects .In some material I read years ago it was explained that 18 percent is the maximum amount of tungsten that can be used before it starts to be detrimental to fine tool steel.T1 was the first true high speed steel.Ww2 requirements for tungsten took it off the market for many years and brought in M2.

ed vitanovec
08-03-2012, 11:20 PM
The Esta Disposa Balde is made from German Steel.

bill tindall
08-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I buy knives and the like as well as sharpening from Misenheimer, in Morristown, TN. I use Wisconsin knives supplied by them. They make knives to fit anything from long lengths of knife stock.

Misenheimer supplies knives, cutters and sharpening to the SE furniture industry. I figure that what ever a furniture factory finds best will be best for me.

Mel Fulks
08-04-2012, 12:45 PM
T1 is a little harder than M2,both leave a good surface.Avoid anything simply called high speed ,or bargains that have "same Rockwell hardness" as high speed .Test for yourself, take a true high speed knife and one that is not and use them as draw knives on a piece of wood.Oh,wrap the ends with rags because both will cut YOU equally well.But I don't think that is a selling point.